Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubsw

Reaction score
I'm after a cheapish saw and I've looked at the KGS 254 by metabo. Has anyone got any opinions on metabo gear

I have a Metabo KS305 mitre saw. This isn't a slider as I find them to have too much slop.

Happy with it, Metabo stuff is decent. I have a Freud blade in it now and it cuts very well.

Only issue is that the LED light only lasted 3 months and went. Metabo wanted me to send it back to replace it!

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I have a 254KGS and I have no real qualms with it, it's a very good saw for the money. The original blade is OK but the cut quality would be improved ten-fold if a decent blade like a CMT or a Freud is put into your saw.

Here's a picture of three blades for the Metabo that I own, the top one is the Metabo, the middle is Freud and at the bottom is CMT.
yUkgAfI.jpg

As you can see, the Metabo has much smaller carbides (possibly lower grade too) than the two other blades which may only grant one or two resharpenings before needing to be thrown out. The Freud and CMT have much larger, higher quality carbide tips that will grant many re-sharpenings and much more use between sharpenings. I put a CMT 285 Series blade in my saw and it's a wonderful blade, cut ends are like glass to the touch even in really difficult woods like whitewood (CLS), the thicker plate also helps prevent deflection which you find sometimes with other blades if you're trying to make a cut only half the width of the blade.

If you want to read more about saw blades there's a pretty good thread on the forum :wink: : https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/a-guide-to-circular-saw-blades-t119811.html

Trevaion : I agree with what you are saying about saw blade quality. However don't forget that the finish of your cut quality is also affected by number of teeth, and the three blades you show vary considerably. So a better quality blade and the right number of teeth for the job (which in general on a mitre saw is going to be cross cutting and therefore a higher teeth count) is what matters.

Brandlin":82jpeecr said:
Trevaion : I agree with what you are saying about saw blade quality. However don't forget that the finish of your cut quality is also affected by number of teeth, and the three blades you show vary considerably. So a better quality blade and the right number of teeth for the job (which in general on a mitre saw is going to be cross cutting and therefore a higher teeth count) is what matters.

Yes! I neglected to mention that :oops:

Although the thread I linked to does go into the finer details for selecting a blade.

..I ended up with a Metabo after a long time looking. A good quality / cost compromise...very happy with mine, no regrets so far!

Thanks for the advice, I was looking at the Bosch or DeWalt but they are a lot more money for cut dimensions.

I've never owned Metabo so I don't have a clue what the build quality is like.

Laser lines are never really that accurate anyway and they always tend to go busted after a few months as Bodgers said. This problem isn't exclusive to Metabos, Pretty much all saws I've come across with lasers or lights have them tend to break. I've never used the one on mine, I just cut to a pencil mark/line.

I have several pieces of metabo kit including the induction motor version of the kgs254. I rate that saw and the older gear highly. Much better than Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc and equal with the best of old Bosch. Their newer cheap kit feels like it's made down to a price and doesn't match the old "lifetime buy" tools.
Metabo still make their better stuff in Germany so look to see where the machine is made and remember that you get what you pay for in any manufacturers range.

Back