Mitre-Saw Stations - Any quick photies please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I am now the owner of a SCMS, and it needs a semi-permanent place. (By 'semi-permanent' I mean a stand or bench on lockable castors.)

I am not one for detailed plans, and in any case all saws are not equal, where dimensions are concerned.

So I would appreciate any quick photos of your Mitre saw stand, and any close ups of 'clever' mods. Hoping to peruse them to format (pinch) a few ideas.

Obliged folks and Thanks in anticipation.

John :D

Benchwayze":3i0i34e0 said:
Hi folks.

I am now the owner of a SCMS, and it needs a semi-permanent place. (By 'semi-permanent' I mean a stand or bench on lockable castors.)

I am not one for detailed plans, and in any case all saws are not equal, where dimensions are concerned.

So I would appreciate any quick photos of your Mitre saw stand, and any close ups of 'clever' mods. Hoping to peruse them to format (pinch) a few ideas.

Obliged folks and Thanks in anticipation.

Give me a mo and I'll go and take some pic's of the one I made and still use 4 years ago.

Below are some Pic's of my SCMS station, I guess it was built about 4 years ago when I got the Festool Kapex.

In the first pic you can see that the side wings are down, normally I just leave these up. They are made so that they are flush with the saw bed.

Wings in position, they are only held in place with hinges and the underneath supports. I have had 10 foot planks on the saw and it takes it nicely.

In the cupboard I have the dust extraction unit, this is a must with a SCMS. Not sure what make you have but I definitely recommend that you have some dust extraction attached to the saw.
As one would expect with Festool the dust extraction from the Kapex is very good, I'd say about 95% efficient.

You will also notice that mine is mobile, as is most of my machines. I find that the mobility gives you the easy option of changing the shop around.

I could have opted for Festools purpose built stand and wings, but didn't feel that this was as robust as mine, and as I don't need the added advantage of transporting it to site, which the purpose built one is designed for, and not wanting to spend £500 on the stand I declines.

Hope this is of help

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the ideas and pics.
I am going to need an ‘all-in-one’ cabinet with the saw more or less permanently in place. I will have room for a four foot wide cabinet, divided into three and on lockable castors. Storage beneath for other power tools.

The cabinet has to be against a wall, and owing to my narrow shop it can’t be any deeper than 2 feet. Fortunately the saw stows in the 45 degree position, so when not in use it will be close up against the wall and as well out of the way as possible. When I need to use it, I shall have to pull it out from the wall so there's room for the sliding bars. Anything too much over seven or eight feet will have to be cut down on trestles out side, using a circular saw, but I have that covered! I can also use the space either side of the saw for my morticer and drill stand, which will stow beneath. That’s about it really. All I have to ensure is an accurate fence, and a spot-on level surface to match the height of the metal table.

Thanks again folks. Pics when done. (Starting this job as soon as the timber merchant opens for business again!) (hammer)
Regards

I have a good pdf file showing how to make a mitre station from "Fine Woodworking.com".
Don't know how to post it on here though.

I am happy to email it as an attachment if anyone wants it. :D

Back