Mitre saw station - Old Topic Search

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffflinger

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it was on here some time ago that I saw a thread showing a mitre saw station that also incorporated a drill press and mortiser in close proximity?

Anybody remember it, more importantly can you find it because I'm struggling.

Looking to build a run of bench in the new year to include more than just the chop saw as I'm tight for space and I seem to recall thinking it looked a workable solution.

Bench will be 4500 long and I'd like to include mitre saw, bench top drill press and bench top mortiser without losing functionality and maintaining the ability to work the longest stock practicable on each machine.

If you can't remember the thread any suggestions would be gratefully rec'd.

I wrote up a bench build for a pillar drill and morticer next to one another for the Haven quite recently. This relied on the differing working heights to allow a compact arrangement but no mitre saw involved.
Norm Abraham has done a project with mitre saw and a removeable morticer in one long bench but his drill was always floor standing in a corner.
I can't recall all three being featured here or the other UK forums.

I prefer bench mounted drill presses to be at the end of a bench so it needed, drilling into the end of a long workpiece can be achieved by swinging the head round to over hang the bench.
Having fixed items in front of a mitre saw bench will always be a compromise as long items will have to be lifted over or threaded behind, those items.
I have a mitre saw and radial arm saw sharing the the same bench and that works quite well. People often ask me why I have both saws.
The RAS has good width capacity and will take a dado head but is a real pain to set up to an exact angle so I lock it at 90 degrees and leave it there.
I don't have the depth for a SCMS but the fixed one is useful for angled cuts. I'm tempted by the new, cleverly designed, compact SCMS from Bosch in nearly all aspects apart from the price!

Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob. Maybe when I'm standing there looking at the finer details it it won't be as good a solution as I see in my mind but it has some merit in a small workshop I feel.

The idea was to have pillar drill table in default position level with the bed of mitre saw and mortiser. I guess the only restriction I can see is the height of workpiece that would sit comfortably under the blade of the saw.

I do take your point about the pillar drill and swinging out over the bench end and I'll need to factor this in. Construction would be modular so that if it wasn't perfect a machine including base and drawers etc could be moved or removed (or put onto castors, maybe that's the solution for the drill, slide out swing round drill slide back?).

One of the reasons for building the unit is for storage as well as space saving, the machines need a better home and I need more storage. The less clutter the better and I am overwhelmed with it right now (essential clutter I must point out).

Thanks again, wish I could locate the old thread, I thought it was so neat when I saw it.

fluffflinger":ujlq4xan said:
I'm sure it was on here some time ago that I saw a thread showing a mitre saw station that also incorporated a drill press and mortiser in close proximity?

Anybody remember it, more importantly can you find it because I'm struggling.

Looking to build a run of bench in the new year to include more than just the chop saw as I'm tight for space and I seem to recall thinking it looked a workable solution.

Bench will be 4500 long and I'd like to include mitre saw, bench top drill press and bench top mortiser without losing functionality and maintaining the ability to work the longest stock practicable on each machine.

If you can't remember the thread any suggestions would be gratefully rec'd.

I seem to remember the one your are talking about, but so far I cannot find it. I did come across this one on the web which is a bit more then a mitre saw stand, but IMHO much better http://christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/ ... and_1.html

HTH

Cheers

Mike

'Plans Now' do a PDF plan of a knock-down work station, that can operate at two heights. Makes it useful as an assembly station for larger cupboards too.
No knock-down fittings required. Just careful drilling and cutting the slots at the right angles.

http://www.plansnow.com/dn3082.html

You would have to buy the plan to see the different uses this design can be put to, but I think a close examination of the photograph will give you an idea of the basic 'bench'.

Best of luck

John :ho2

Benchwayze":1b7z0s6y said:
'Plans Now' do a PDF plan of a knock-down work station, that can operate at two heights. Makes it useful as an assembly station for larger cupboards too.
No knock-down fittings required. Just careful drilling and cutting the slots at the right angles.

http://www.plansnow.com/dn3082.html

You would have to buy the plan to see the different uses this design can be put to, but I think a close examination of the photograph will give you an idea of the basic 'bench'.

Best of luck

This idea reminds me of Aidan's offering here sore-hoarses-mkii-now-with-added-plans-t44761.html?hilit=sore%20hoarses

Bob

I do have some photographs of someone using a Festool Circular saw, in an MDF Cross-Cutting jig. Turning the saw into a kind of 'Chop-saw'.

I can't seem to locate it on UKW. Did I see it somewhere else? Or maybe someone remembers the same thing on the forum?

Heeeelllp!
Lol!

Back