Mitre saw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I remember seeing a post somewhen about replacing the nasty plastic handles on new mitre saws with a salvaged wooden handle from an old saw. Now, of course, I cannot find any reference to it, despite extensive searching here and on Google.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Any help gratefully received.

Thanks Alex... I thought Bugbear posted the original message and had a look through his site before posting here but missed it somehow.

Anyway - welcome to the madhouse. Pull up a stool and tell us a bit about yourself :)

First, welcome Alex!

Pete, iirc the post(s) were really about just making a new handle. I'm not sure what the topics are titled, so I cannot help with the search (or I'm just being lazy). This is a relatively easy woodworking task.

If you like the shape of the previous handle, you can use it for a template, else all you need is a picture of a handle you would rather use ( full side-view picture is best). After that it is just making a template for tracing on the wood. A bandsaw is handy for cutting out the outer shape, but I have used a fretsaw as well. A scroll saw or the fret saw (after drilling a hole in the inner portion) will cut out the inside of the handle if it is a closed handle type you would like.

There are a few tips for cutting the slot for the new blade and marking for the saw bolts, but those are also relatively easy tasks. For isntance, make sure you have a back saw, Japanese saw or another saw that will leave an appropriate kerf. I use the BS with a thin kerf blade for many handles, and a back saw I made specifically for cutting the slots for blades as thin as .020".

If you have any questions, just holler and soneone will help solve the issues.

Take care, Mike

MikeW":1btym8ei said:
iirc the post(s) were really about just making a new handle.

Thanks Mike, but Alex nailed it with his post, as per Bugbear's follow-up.

The one I have is very similar to the Nobex; as BB observes on his site, the handles are an atrocity in plastic.

I have an old crosscut saw that someone had butchered into a 3ppi monstrosity and then broke multiple teeth off it (looks like part of the blade has also been used as an anvil at some time :shock:). The blade has been allocated for a future stairsaw project when I summon up the nerve to start dabbling in cutting metal, so I was looking to put the handle with the mitre saw.

What I couldn't see at first was how to accomodate the thick wedge of plastic on the mitre frame in the wooden handle. It didn't occur to me to simply cut an appropriate chunk out of the wooden handle ("well, durh!!", as my teenage son would say).

But I'll be making extensive use of your saw-handling expertise when I get around to that stairsaw :).

We used to sell Nobex metal handles too that were not any better design but lasted longer. When I am back I will check.

Clearly we still sell the plastic ones fyi.

Martin

Back