Mitre saw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFR

Reaction score
Dear All

I was recently given a mitre saw (10 inch Titan model - no laughing) by a friend who works with a theatre group building sets. Apparently the blade had come off during use and they decided it was too dangerous to use so he thought I might like it (he's a good friend).

The problem seems to be that the washer that goes on after the outside blade flange had been forced through the flange, swaging it in the process so that the bolt fits through it. (See image). The flange was also damaged.
Flanges.jpg

The idea of playing frisbee of death isn't too appealing so I thought I would replace the flanges etc. Being a screfix special, there are no spares so I was wondering if someone could tell me which other manufacturers spares might fit on this saw.

The drive from the motor is 16 mm diameter, 14 mm across the flats and protrudes around 12 mm from the bearing retainer. The bolt is an M8 LHT and the blade is 254 mm.

All help greatly appreciated.

Tim

Attachments

• Flanges.jpg
    Flanges.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 772
Looks to me like you need a new fat washer with a 8mm hole in it and about 20mm diameter
Whats wrong with the outside flange?

I can make anything you need if you get stuck

The outside flange did have a hole in it shaped to fit on the drive (oval shaped) but when the washer was deformed and forced through that hole, it rounded the hole and forced the excess material to protrude out of the inside face of the flange. It would no longer sit flat on the blade because of this.

Thanks for the info and the offer. If I can't pick something up locally, I'll certainly bear it in mind.

I have just been to the Axminster shop and measured some of the Makita spindles on their mitre saws. They are a 16 mm diameter shaft with 13 mm across the flats. If I were to buy one and file the flats out by 0.5 mm on each side, does anyone think that I would be risking it a little bit?

Back