Mitre saw housing crisis

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I hope I can pick the more Normite-minded brains. I need to do something about making a home for the Bosch SCMS; permanently in the workshop, moving on-site not required. At the moment I either have too many ideas which aren't quite right, or my mind goes totally blank. I'd be grateful if you could share your own solutions to this knotty problem, or other people's that you've just happened across, in the hope inspiration will strike. Pictures, natch, would be most helpful. Ta muchly. :D

Cheers, Alf

Mcluma":18spien8 said:
Does this design have to include proper dust extraction :?:
Well that'd be nice, but really I'm just looking for a bit of inspirational stuff I can rip off, er, adapt to my own situation at the moment.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

I have a plan that I downloaded from the free section of PWW ages ago - it doesn't seem to be there anymore but I have sent it to your website email. I haven't got the facilites to post it anywhere (yet) so if someone can offer to do that and post a link, I'll send it to them.

Cheers

Tim

Newbie_Neil":yd9tcox6 said:
If you ask me nicely, I could loan you a video with "The Mighty Bearded One" making just such a project. :wink:
Is that the one on the site, Neil? Thanks for the offer but I think I'll pass. I don't have time to rant properly just now... :wink:

Ian, I'd forgotten that one. Thanks.

Tim, many thanks. I do have that one. I think it's still on the site somewhere... erm, here we are - for the benefit of others.

Cheers, Alf

He Tim,

That is actually not a bad one, Easy to wheel around and with nice long wings

But ALF

If this al to much, then buy the ready made one from Scewfix/Axminster/B&Q/or DeWalt, they are all the same and are between 60 and 90 pounds.

No sawdust extraction, but easy to use and quick set-up

I built a rolling chop saw station; flip up stock supports at either side, tons of storage built into it making it multi-functional... a must in my tiny shop.

Canna give pics of my one, but I've a couple of the one I got the idea from... can e-mail if you're interested...

Alf":3phcz2ff said:
Tim, many thanks. I do have that one. I think it's still on the site somewhere... erm, here we are - for the benefit of others.

I have a copy of this, Alf if you find the box of tuits, check if one has my name on. :shock:

My mitre saw is bolted to two bits of ply and mounted on a cheap workmate type thing, it works but its not pretty. :?

Alf

If the thought of a metal stand interests you then I have the SIP universal stand that is brand new and I no longer need. It's yours for £50 (is that a reasonable price?) but you'd need to arrange collection - it weighs a lot!

For my own needs, I'm pondering mounting it under neath the rat..since the rat is mounted mid-point along one wall. Not sure though as in the past the mitre saw has moved around a lot on the floor to different positions and I can't remember whether that was due to timber length or just where an empty space was!

Cheers Roger

Roger, thanks but I'll have to pass. I have a feeling I can't afford the loss of storage space beneath.

Ah well, seems we're not treading new ground much here, folks. Never mind. Obviously my searches weren't a faliure, they just found all there was. :(

Cheers, Alf

Geesh Alf. :shock:

Sounds like you were expecting some off this planet designs, that nobody in this whole universe had toughed of before :?

McLuma

Mcluma":3cmi7hs2 said:
Geesh Alf. :shock:

Sounds like you were expecting some off this planet designs, that nobody in this whole universe had toughed of before :?
Asking too much, you think? :wink: No, just hoping maybe a few ideas from real-world workshops rather than "ideal plans" might have been handy.

Cheers, Alf

Alf

I have the same prob. I have a DW708 (not subtle) plus the DW stand for site work but the reason I haven't built a stand is that so far I haven't seen one that works well enough to make me think its worth building. Dust control and accomodating the slide are both not met adequately by anything I've seen.

The DW stand is great for site stuff but takes up a massive footprint because of the splayed legs so if I have lots of long length cross cutting to do I wait for good weather and do it outside! Shorter stuff gets done on the TS or using the SCMS on a bench top.

Cheers

Tim

Back