Mitre Saw - Erbauer or Bosch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight

Reaction score
Last edited:
Partly depends on what your application is. The main differences - Erbauer is double bevel and the Bosch is single and the Erbauer has the bigger capacity. Brandwise the Bosch would probably be considered to be the better quality but you pay for that although some of the erbauer gear is good. Also think of spare parts - some people struggle to get parts for erbauer. Warranty probably 3 year with Bosch if registered (I have used it on one of their drills 2 weeks before it expired and they fixed it). Erbauer 2 yr warranty

Also agree with @Phil Pascoe get one of the cheap stands - well worth the money

If you're on a tight budget get to Lidl quickly for the stand - £39.99.

Yes thank you - saw the Lidl offer, which does appear to be an incredible deal for that price. Not sure how important the brand of stand is and whether a higher price one offers much over the Lidl one?

I'm don't want to spend more than £400 total (saw and stand), but happy to spend up to that if it gets me something with better features/and quality. I'm keen on high depth and height crosscut capacity just in case I need it on some projects and also trench cut facility.

I had the Bosch stand before I made a bench and put it on that, but that stand apart from taking up a lot of space was rigid and very usable and I cannot imagine what the Lidl one will offer. It is said time and time again that if you buy cheap you end up buying twice, at least so unless you are a very light occasional user walk away and either make a saw bench or buy quality.

I bought this one which I was quite impressed with Evolution R255SMS+ 255mm Sliding Compound Mitre Saw With TCT Multi-Material Cutting Blade | Evolution Power Tools UK
Leading UK Supplier of Multi Tool Blades & Accessories - Saxton Blades make nice blades that work with it's bore size and are very reasonably priced

Worth shopping around as you can get them a bit cheaper and sometimes with a stand as a package

Same saw on powertoolworld

Thank you. I notice the Evolution saws are extremely popular and you seem to get a lot for your money with them, from what I can see. My only concern was the 'slow' RPM that is required for metal cutting, as I understand some people complain it's not ideal for quality wood cuts. Not sure if it's really a big issue or not?

Bosch all day long, a quality brand with a good reputation and way better than Erbewer.

I agree Bosch obviously the better brand (although my first two Bosch Professional tools purchased in recent years both developed faults within hours of first use!), but Erbauer seem to be building good reputation, so thought it might be worth it for the extra features.

Partly depends on what your application is. The main differences - Erbauer is double bevel and the Bosch is single and the Erbauer has the bigger capacity. Brandwise the Bosch would probably be considered to be the better quality but you pay for that although some of the erbauer gear is good. Also think of spare parts - some people struggle to get parts for erbauer. Warranty probably 3 year with Bosch if registered (I have used it on one of their drills 2 weeks before it expired and they fixed it). Erbauer 2 yr warranty

Also agree with @Phil Pascoe get one of the cheap stands - well worth the money

Quite keen on the Erbauer for the reasons you state (double bevel, bigger capacity). Not sure if lack of soft start is a big issue? Bosch would be 3-year warranty. I think if I knew for sure that I didn't need the higher depth cutting I would just get the Bosch, but not sure. Lots of people seem to say "get the biggest capacity possible, otherwise you'll regret it". My previous post gives details of my use case. Mainly a DIYer with new interest in woodworking at the moment.

Also worth checking https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/mitre-saw occasionally as the exact same bosch one you posted was £220 last month :D

Yes I noticed that deal - shame I missed it. That's Amazon for you. I have a price tracker alert on it now, but want to buy in the next day or so really, so can't wait.

Thank you all for your replies...I'm still weighing up the options, but it seems either one is decent enough for my needs, so can't go far wrong.

I had the Bosch stand before I made a bench and put it on that, but that stand apart from taking up a lot of space was rigid and very usable and I cannot imagine what the Lidl one will offer. It is said time and time again that if you buy cheap you end up buying twice, at least so unless you are a very light occasional user walk away and either make a saw bench or buy quality.

Definitely learnt my lesson in the past on the "buy cheap buy twice" situation! One day I hope to build (or have built for me) a dedicated workshop, where I would definitely make a permanent saw bench, but until then I'll have to make do with a stand that can be put away.

Thank you. I notice the Evolution saws are extremely popular and you seem to get a lot for your money with them, from what I can see. My only concern was the 'slow' RPM that is required for metal cutting, as I understand some people complain it's not ideal for quality wood cuts. Not sure if it's really a big issue or not?
I've not noticed any issues with it yet, I was actually surprised with the quality of the cut with the multi-purpose blade that came with it for the cuts I've done on CLS and the soft start is nice.
From what I've seen its more about the right blade for really high quality cuts. I mentioned saxton blades as they have a few bundles, one includes a 40 tooth and 80 tooth blade specifically for these saws. Not had a chance to use them, but I've seen people swear by them for the money. £32 for 2 blades TCT Circular Blade 255mm Pack A - 25.4mm Bore

I would go Bosch for saw better quality accuracy and parts availablity.

Stand not so much Lidl will still be heavy. My Screwfix one is.

I would make sure it has an induction motor much more pleasant to use.

Cheers James

I've had this saw for a couple of years and have used it quite a bit. No site work though, only in the workshop so can't speak for its robustness to being lugged around in a van. Been really happy with it. Note it only has a 216mm blade so quite small capacity (max depth 80mm if I remember correctly and obviously less when doing beveled cuts). Decent 300mm ish max width of cut though.

I have found it to be powerful and accurate enough for my needs. Easy to adjust settings if it needs calibrating. I've had mitre cuts off it that have been tight enough for frames without any tuning required. I use a Freud 64 tooth blade (code: LP40M 019P), which gives an excellent finish.

I don't have the stand but I've read positive reviews though it's not cheap.

James

I was actually surprised with the quality of the cut with the multi-purpose blade that came with it for the cuts I've done on CLS and the soft start is nice.
From what I've seen its more about the right blade for really high quality cuts. I mentioned saxton blades as they have a few bundles, one includes a 40 tooth and 80 tooth blade specifically for these saws. Not had a chance to use them, but I've seen people swear by them for the money. £32 for 2 blades
I found the multi purpose blade cuts wood OK when it's new, but if you cut much metal with it, the quality in wood deteriorates rapidly. I gave up cutting metal with multi purpose blade and have a normal TCT for cutting aluminium and wood. The multi purpose blades don't last long on steel. My son in law has the evolution with a Saxton blade and it works really well. Nice clean cut. The evolution accuracy is not as good as my DeWalt, but it's not a fair comparison because of the price difference.

If it was a choice between Erbaur and Bosch, it would be Bosch every time. They are well engineered quality tools. They also fund some really good causes through the Robert Bosch Foundation :)
I think the Lidl stand is really good value.

I've got the erbauer saw. More than happy with it. Good cut capacity double bevel and accurate angle cuts (ignore the laser). Downside, it's bloody heavy, but I use it in my work shop.

Hi everyone

I would appreciate thoughts on which of these two you would buy (along with their respective stands) and why:

Erbauer EMIS254S
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...double-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/244fv
Bosch GCM 8 SJL
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Professional-Corded-Sliding-Mitre/dp/B00FMYUIMO
Open to other recommendations if you think they're both no good.

Thanks in advance!

*Moderator: created to replace old post, but couldn't delete previous one :-(
Hi everyone

I would appreciate thoughts on which of these two you would buy (along with their respective stands) and why:

Erbauer EMIS254S
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...double-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/244fv
Bosch GCM 8 SJL
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Professional-Corded-Sliding-Mitre/dp/B00FMYUIMO
Open to other recommendations if you think they're both no good.

Thanks in advance!

*Moderator: created to replace old post, but couldn't delete previous one :-(
I have a Bosch 216mm mitre saw and its a perfectly good saw. Yes it may have a smaller blade than 254mm Erbauer model but still offers plently of features. Mine is permanently mounted on a bench. Although I have used it on location.
With regards to the Bosch 3 year warranty, this to me is extremely valuable. I have used it several times with total satisfaction. New clutch and gearbox on 9.6v drill driver and 1/4" trimmer router totally replaced, both units near the end of their warranty periods and heavily used. This backup is worth a lot to me.

I've bought Bosch several times on newer equip.....mostly metalwork stuff....
all made in China and from my point of view no better than Erbauer or even Lidil....ur just paying for the name.....thats unless it says "MADE in GERMANY"
all my tools failed just outta warrenty.....
was a Bosch believer but NOT anymore.....
Only ever buy Japanese mains powered tools or Milwaukee for batt stuff....
but I gues not in ur price bracket tho...

I've not noticed any issues with it yet, I was actually surprised with the quality of the cut with the multi-purpose blade that came with it for the cuts I've done on CLS and the soft start is nice.
From what I've seen its more about the right blade for really high quality cuts. I mentioned saxton blades as they have a few bundles, one includes a 40 tooth and 80 tooth blade specifically for these saws. Not had a chance to use them, but I've seen people swear by them for the money. £32 for 2 blades TCT Circular Blade 255mm Pack A - 25.4mm Bore

I do think the Evolution saws are a good deal, as they seem to get excellent reviews and very reasonably priced. It sounds like getting those additional blades is the way to go as well. 🤔

I've had this saw for a couple of years and have used it quite a bit. No site work though, only in the workshop so can't speak for its robustness to being lugged around in a van. Been really happy with it. Note it only has a 216mm blade so quite small capacity (max depth 80mm if I remember correctly and obviously less when doing beveled cuts). Decent 300mm ish max width of cut though.

I have found it to be powerful and accurate enough for my needs. Easy to adjust settings if it needs calibrating. I've had mitre cuts off it that have been tight enough for frames without any tuning required. I use a Freud 64 tooth blade (code: LP40M 019P), which gives an excellent finish.

I don't have the stand but I've read positive reviews though it's not cheap.

James

Thanks good to know.

I've got the erbauer saw. More than happy with it. Good cut capacity double bevel and accurate angle cuts (ignore the laser). Downside, it's bloody heavy, but I use it in my work shop.

Good to see some positive feedback on the Erbauer. I think the Bosch is only a few kilos lighter, so weight maybe just one of those unavoidable things with these, but I can see how it makes everything difficult.

I have a Bosch 216mm mitre saw and its a perfectly good saw. Yes it may have a smaller blade than 254mm Erbauer model but still offers plently of features. Mine is permanently mounted on a bench. Although I have used it on location.
With regards to the Bosch 3 year warranty, this to me is extremely valuable. I have used it several times with total satisfaction. New clutch and gearbox on 9.6v drill driver and 1/4" trimmer router totally replaced, both units near the end of their warranty periods and heavily used. This backup is worth a lot to me.

I hear what you say about warranty, but I wish it wasn't needed so often! The only two Bosch Professional tools I own (12v drill/impact set and large brush cutter) both failed with hours of use. The impact driver drains batteries in hours if the battery is left in it, without being used, until the cells are dead. This killed a battery and still isn't fixed, but is out of warranty now, so I have to remember not to leave any battery in it, otherwise it will destroy it (this gets expensive)! The brush cutter I've yet to see if they fix under warranty - the power button has jammed after around 6-8 hours use over several months. So generally very nervous about buying Bosch these days.

I've bought Bosch several times on newer equip.....mostly metalwork stuff....
all made in China and from my point of view no better than Erbauer or even Lidil....ur just paying for the name.....thats unless it says "MADE in GERMANY"
all my tools failed just outta warrenty.....
was a Bosch believer but NOT anymore.....
Only ever buy Japanese mains powered tools or Milwaukee for batt stuff....
but I gues not in ur price bracket tho...

Thanks - I tend to agree. This is a what worries me - as with many things, they definitely don't make them like they used to! Most brands have levelled up with each other in terms of quality, so no much difference between them, but this is why it makes the choice harder, because you don't know how much of the cost is going to brand name and how much is going to actual quality.

Back