Mitre saw dust extractor HVLP or LVPH?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
I am finally fitting extractor ducting in my shop and wonder if I am correct in using the HVLP to remove the dust? I have enclosed around the saw and is currently connected to the HVLP which seems to work ok.

would this be better connected to a LVPH such as a Henry? I have seen both setups online.

I think “conventional wisdom” is that LVHP captures the nasty “fine” particles best. Mitre saws are fairly challenging to achieve highly effective dust extraction. You either have to start with a saw designed from the ground up with extraction (for example the Kapex 120) or DIY a custom enclosure, or buy one of those tent things. Even then it’s “tricky”. You have to have an extractor that can move a LOT of air, matched to an “optimum” hose. For instance, my Kapex 120 with my big M class Festool extractor and a standard length (3m?) 27mm hose is not very good. However a short (1m) custom 36mm Festool hose connected to an even more powerful Fein is close to perfect. If you watch Peter Parfitt’s (New Brit workshop) video on the subject, his experiment (with a similar setup) shows a very few larger sawdust particles not caught, but all the fines captured. My own experience with my setup is that ALL MDF dust is captured, but with softwood like CLS, a small amount of larger bits escape.

I hope that helps!

Back