Mitre Saw Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gogsi

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a mitre saw and was totally unprepared for the amount of sawdust this thing spits out. It doesn't restrict itself to the vicinity of the saw either. Oh no, this monster spits everywhere !
I realise that this is the case for the majority of mitre saws and especially a budget one like I have.
Anyway, I did a lot of research on this in the quest to find something affordable and yet efficient.
Being retired and being on a very modest pension, I do have to be really careful with my pennies. So, when I found this video, it really struck a chord.
Not only is this a very inexpensive prospect, it really seems to do a half decent job.:
Dust Collection on a Budget
If you'd like to miss out on the rather rambling preamble, please start at 2:02.

I'd like to ask you very experienced and informed gentlemen where I might get the “fixings” to attach this to the hose of my Henry vacuum?
Now, I know that dear old Henry is not really supposed to cope with oodles of sawdust but, I'm an infrequent woodworker and my mitre saw would likely not be used more than once or twice a week and only for a few cuts here and there.
My hose is 31mm in diameter and here's a photo of it:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PyrrgUgc3nEriSbV8
I would like it to be fairly easily removed as Henry has to be lured into action for regular household duties as well.
At 2:39 in the video you can see the fixing he uses to attach his hose to and I imagine I would need something similar but have no idea what this is called.
So, would appreciate it greatly if any of you seasoned woodworkers could answer my question and give me any other suggestions you think might be of use to me. It's great to have such an informed bunch to ask. :eek:

It's certainly A solution, the one I've linked below requires a little time to make but it would probably be better suited.

The one in your video benefits from having a much larger volume of air going through it. The one in this video sends most of the sawdust into a very small channel so your Henry can hopefully gobble it up. A good channel to watch in general and always worth a watch to the end to realise that even someone who gets half a million people to watch a video still does dumb things like you or I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrBaHKtz8GQ

Yep any power tool = sawdust everywhere. I use a couple of Henrys in the workshop, 1 permanently attached to the table saw and 1 as a general shop vac and they've been doing it for years with no issues (damn, now I've done it).

I must say, as I used to be a site joiner I got used to using power tools automatically, but the mess is a P.I.T.A. A few years ago I was using mainly handtools for for my own projects and the dust reduction was huge.

For what your needing I'd buy another hose off the web and gaffer tape it to your mitre saw and just connect it when you need, but I do like really simple

All well and good, but doesnt anybody cut mitres on their mitre saws?
And I dont have 6 foot behind mine for a giant plastic box.
Does anyone have solutions for my particular problems? :shock: 8)

sunnybob":37fppr19 said:
All well and good, but doesnt anybody cut mitres on their mitre saws?
And I dont have 6 foot behind mine for a giant plastic box.
Does anyone have solutions for my particular problems? :shock: 8)
I did see one that made a whole new fence but they used a cnc to cut a lot of sections to glue together. Great extraction and able to cut any angle.

It is worth remembering that whatever tent or cabinet you use, the mitre saw will still generate dust that vacuums cannot collect unless you are shifting a huge amount of air volume.

This is because, if you watch how sawdust is produced, quite a lot comes from the front of the saw blade as it enters and goes through the work - especially on long cuts through wide material. The chute system that is normally at the back of the saw is capable of collecting a fair bit of dust but this is invariably compromised by the small collector and guard. If you make the guard around the collection hole bigger, it compromises the travel of the saw.

I have a nilfisk vacuum pretty much dedicated to my mitre saw, but I accept that I will still have to vacuum manually a lot of dust that collects on and around the front of the saw.

Cordy, no action yet, I have a backlog of "honeydos",must do,s and just get on and do,s.
Try doing that in 40c and you start to understand my slothhfulness :shock:

We are now out of curfew though so I can start going to shops again. Its my burpday in a few days time, I need to see what Santa brings before I splurge my hard won pension. (hammer) 8) 8)

Dunno if this is of any interest but I built this simple hood from 30mm square timber & Perspex many years ago when I had a big old Hitachi chop saw that was very messy.
The sides & back are Perspex simply held in a saw cut in the pine frames with a piece of white faced hardboard as a top, it contains what dust the extraction on the saw misses & is big enough to allow the saw to pivot from 45 degrees on the left to 60 degrees on the right.

423DA5DE-B08E-448C-862C-2819D41CEF93.jpeg

I recently made a pen/pencil holder fixed to the right hand upright & on the left a holder for a tape measure & 10 million dollar stick a recent giveaway win on Instagram :D (another great reason to go on Instagram) which certainly makes using a chopsaw a lot safer when cutting small pieces.

Attachments

• 423DA5DE-B08E-448C-862C-2819D41CEF93.jpeg
    423DA5DE-B08E-448C-862C-2819D41CEF93.jpeg
    778.4 KB · Views: 229

Latest posts

Back