Mitre saw blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwa

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all, I think my Evolution mitre saw blade is getting a bit dull and tearing out the cut slightly so I' m going to replace it. The problem is I think I read somewhere that Evolution blades are designed to run slower than other manufacturers, so what I need to know is has anyone had any problems replacing these blades and can I safely fit another manufacturers blade to the saw? Finally recommendations on tpi and manufacturers of replacement blades for a diy sawdust and error maker please!
Regards...John

It's fine, I replaced mine with a standard blade and the quality of cut improved dramatically. I seem to remember struggling to fine one with the with correct size bore so also had to buy a bush adapter.

Yes, have used Saxton blades in a Evolution saw. They worked fine. Also used an old TCT blade for cutting Aluminium. If your saw came with a multipurpose blades they are a bit of a compromise, they cut steel very well when brand new, but I never found the finish on wood was great.
Get a good blade and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
What yo do have to watch is the arbor size, which is probably 25.4mm. The design of some of the Evolution saw arbor clamp is not compatible with using an adaptor. It allows the adapter to move to one side. I'm not saying all of the saws suffer the same problem, but the one I was using did.

The centre support is 25.4, then a recess, so when you fit an adaptor, it can be pushed into that recess. You think everything is OK until you start the saw, then you find the blade is not centred and it vibrates dangerously, but because of the soft start you spot something is wrong before it gets really dangerous. I can't imagine why evolution would not design the arbor clamp which is flat across the face

Others may have no problem, but that was my experience. trying to get it to work ended up damaging the arbor clamp, just a tiny deformation of the edge at 25.4mm the original blade would not then fit.

arbor.JPG

Why do so many people buy new blades. Usually far cheaper to take it to your local saw doctor for sharpening. They can even fit new teeth if you lost one.

Why do so many people buy new blades. Usually far cheaper to take it to your local saw doctor for sharpening. They can even fit new teeth if you lost one.
I bought a perfectly acceptable 10" blade from Saxton for £26. A firm near me sharpens them for £15.60 inc. and I either have to pay the P&P both ways or take a couple of hours out for a thirty mile round trip. For expensive industrial blades it might make sense, but for run of the mill stuff cheaper it ain't.

Saw doctors I know of have a weekly collection and delivery round calling at the jobbing workshops. You might be able to do a deal with a nearby woodworking shop to save you time/fuel.

+1 for saxton blades. I bought the multipack containing a 40&80 tooth blade and was very reasonably priced

I doubt I could have found a saw doctor that could turn an aggressive 24 tooth "multipurpose" blade into a 60 tooth negative rake one, so buying new was probably the only option ;)

I have a 10+ year old cheap Titan saw from Screwfix. Replaced blade with a Saxton and it was like a new machine, used Saxton ever since. Relatively inexpensive. Currently have a 48 tooth on it, sort if fine-ish general purpose.

+1 for changing the blade to a saxton and it being like a new machine!
By the way, I DEFINITELY didn't spend 10 minutes with every 13mm spanner and finally an impact driver with 13mm socket on it accidentally tightening the old blade on before realising/remembering it is a reverse thread bolt!

I've tried a couple of Saxton blades over the years but have relegated them to "rough" work cutting.....Like breaking down sheets of MDF & Ply or cutting up T&G chipboard flooring......They dont cut anywhere near as clean as a Festool blade in my tracksaws when cutting MFC or MFMDF. I suppose you do get what you pay for.

Back