mitre saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
2 years ago I purchased a cheap mite saw,£25. The depth of cut 70mm but I always have a nasty finish on the underside of the cut.
Should I upgrade or would a high quality blade solve the problem.

If upgrading what price have members paid for the proprietary brands?

DW,

Well 2 years work out of a £25 saw is pretty good, but maybe it's getting to the end of it's useful life. If the blade is a standard size that you'll probably find yourself using again on any upgrade, then I reckon it'd be worth trying a finer toothed blade on the current one. Probably a egg-sucking education comment, but you could have the current blade sharpened :wink: Additionally you could use a thin backing board under the workpiece to get a cleaner finish on the underside of the cut, although it's always a problem afaik. Dunno, do sliding mitre saws do better at that?

Can't help on possible upgrades, 'cos my Axminster is an obsolete model. However, my own aim for an upgrade is to a slider, and possibly the DW707 which doesn't take up so much front to back space as the other CSMSs. Fwiw (I know, not a lot :roll: )

Cheers, Alf

If you decide on a new one I agree with alf, go for a slider if you can afford it, also choose a good name.

I have a makita, great tool, but much more verstatility in a slider if you can go the extra cost

I have the makita ls 1013 got it ohh about 6 months ago in the b&q 20% off sale thingy ,which made it a real bargain works great even with the bog standard blade .

Hi DW - its really down to the blade. Providing the frame and bearing of your Mitre saw are solid - ie no sideways movement - a good new blade would work wonders. I have been very happy with Freud blades. I would get one for cross cut only, not a combination blade, since you will get a better finish.
HTH
John

Found the Rexon SCM8EA sliding compound mitre saw at £195 plus vat, searching the web after reading above posts.
Anyone got any comments?

Neil,

The only mitre saw with an induction motor (that I know of) is the EB KG model. Highly recommend, BHW.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel

Noely":bfbur6gm said:
The only mitre saw with an induction motor (that I know of) is the EB KG model.

Thanks for that, I'd always thought that mine was an induction motor as it is so quiet. :oops:

Cheers
Neil

I've got the cheapo Ferm saw from screwfix, bought when it was £50 and I'd love to chnage it as it's poorly made, difficult to set accurately and of limited capacity. Unfortunately with a good blade with lots of teeth (I think it's an Axminster perform, but I can't remember off-hand) it cutes pretty well, so I can't bring myself to spend money on something bigger/better.

If I need to cut wider boards I can always convert my Triton or even (heaven forbid) use a hand saw.

In summary - try a better blade.

I've got the cheapo Ferm saw from screwfix, bought when it was £50

Same here; amongst other gripes it was out by 1degree on the cutting angles :roll:

It went straight back and I spent the right money on a makita.

Never looked back

My cheapo came from Argos, and the only replacement blade seems tobe again from Argos (its a 24 tooth)
Blade spec in handbook advises 210mm x 20mm bore.
The bore seems to be the problem when I look at blade catalogues, I can only seem to find 30mm bore.

You could get a Trend bushing washer to take a 30mm bore blade down to 20mm - £1.83 in the Trend catalogue, p. 155. Never used one though, so I wouldn't like to say if they were a good idea.

NeilCFD

You'd need to watch the diameter of the clamping washer (or whatever it's called) on the actual saw though. If it's too small it'll only exert pressure on the bushing instead of the blade. :shock: So worth checking that first.

Cheers, Alf

Um yes, thanks Alf - the consequences of that don't even bear thinking about :shock:

NeilCFD

Back