Mitre saw advice, to mount against the wall with minimal rear-clearance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke4b

Reaction score
I'm just starting out setting up a workshop in my garage which unfortunately has a sloping concrete floor. I'm planning on making wooden shelving and workbenches with unequal length legs to take the slope out and bolt them onto the wall. Because of the floor I can't really have any machines on wheels (tablesaw, bandsaw). I've decided that a bench mounted mitre saw might be my best option, and would be very useful for constructing the workbenches/shelves in the first place.

I've seen the BOSCH GCM 12 GDL, with the linkage mechanism rather than slides, but it's quite pricey and a bit plasticy. I've seen on some US forums people comparing it to a Festool kapex saw, which is much more expensive over there but from what I have seen is about the same price over here (unless I'm misunderstanding the model that is being discussed).

Is there any cheaper option that I should be considering? Any advice on which I go for? My plan at the moment is to have the saw next to the garage door on a 24" deep worktop that is lower than my main bench by the height of the saw's table so my bench will be the right height to rest the stock on and longer pieces I can open the door an put a sawhorse on the driveway to support.

saw.JPG

Look at Hitachi (as they were) as they have forward mounted rails as do a few other makes.

Cheers James

My BOSCH GCM 12 GDL sits on a 24 inch wide workbench;
A very good machine it is too !

Makita & Hikoki (new name for Hitachi) also do 12" saws with fixed rails.

Triton do a 10" saw with fixed rails for £375

With regards to the Kapex, they are likely discussing the Bosch v the Kapex 120. You've probably been looking at the Kapex 60 which is the same price as the Bosch here, but less cut capacity

Find the pretty active thread on here which notes when the Bosch goes on sale on Amazon. This brings it down to somewhere between £500-£600 which makes it cost competitive with the Makita & Hikoki options.

it's quite a bit, and slopes down towards the front door (front door is left on this side-view image). It's also access for the back garden so being able to take the wheelbarrow through without steps is useful.

slope.JPG

Thanks for the advice, I didn't realise there was a whole generation of "modern style" saws that had minimised rear clearance as a priority.

I'll be looking out on eBay for something second hand anyway, the Hitachi saw looks interesting. Any idea if the Triton is any good? I've not heard of them before.

I ended up buying a second hand Makita LS1219L. Did my first job at the weekend with it, making up some shelves and workbenches. Seems good, definitely need to hook up a dust extractor though, made an awful lot of sawdust!

I ended up buying a second hand Makita LS1219L. Did my first job at the weekend with it, making up some shelves and workbenches. Seems good, definitely need to hook up a dust extractor though, made an awful lot of sawdust!

On YouTube a lot of people also make a mitre saw cabinet to help contain the dust (as well as being hooked up to dust extraction). Have you got room to add one of these around your saw? Unfortunately I don't have room for one in my little shed.

On YouTube a lot of people also make a mitre saw cabinet to help contain the dust (as well as being hooked up to dust extraction). Have you got room to add one of these around your saw? Unfortunately I don't have room for one in my little shed.
You can use a pop up bin as a shroud, minimal space and packs away small when not needed.

1642100103110.png

Latest posts

Back