Mitre lock bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had good results with a mitre lock bit?

I have a couple, not used either in anger. I have renovated one of my garden planters. It needs new fake lega. They are made frome two pieces of 4x1 mitred along a long edge and stuck on over the corner of a posh crate.

I have anew mitre lock bit. It is a bit of a beast, so I've turned the speed down to minimum ( I think that might be about 8K rpm).

I understand the setup procedure, that is not a problem. But the actual cutting, feeding the workpiece in, it is a very scary and difficult-to-control operation. I am getting juddering on a massive scale. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what I am doing wrong? I have 10 digits and I'd like it to stay that way.

I've got one I've used a couple of times. Sounds like you are OK with the setup so I'll ignore that. I was routing Medite MDF which is quite hard (for MDF) and put a packer of thin MDF against the fence and did the cut in 2 passes. It went a lot smoother that way and gave good results. The cut with the workpiece flat on the table went OK but I made a taller fence (with another piece of MDF probably about 8" high and featherboards to keep it at 90 degrees and my fingers well away from the action.

Thank you, but that info does not help me, well-intentioned though it was :)

I am wondering if I have reduced the spindle speed too much. It's down to minimum, but I can't imagine having a bigger bit in the machine, so I am reluctant to wind it up.

It's a brand new bit, so I can't see sharpness being a problem.

Hello,

I'm new here, but have used a lock-mitre bit to make a few boxes. I also initially had problems with a scary amount of juddering, particularly for the member that has to be held vertically against the fence. Similar to you, I had set the router speed to the lowest setting, 8000rpm.

Two things that helped me get acceptable results were; using 4 passes to get to the full depth of cut, and using feather boards. For the piece held vertically against the fence, I clamped it to a wide backing board to push it through the cut. All in all, it was a bit of a faff, even though I was happy with the results.

Cheers,
Luke

Thank you all. Maybe I'll try upping the speed a bit and see if that helps, but so far I'm not happy. I like to feel safe and I don't.
If it doesn't get any better I shall just make a simple T&G joint.

If it's in the 2"- 2.5" range I'd probably run it at around 12,000 to 16,000rpm, The bit may be big in total but a lot of the cutting is happening at a sub 1.5" cutting circle.

surely it's juddering because it can't cope with the volume you are trying to remove in one pass.
Some router bits are just to big for a single pass in a conventional router whatever it's power.

online speed chart gives a 2" bit speed of up to 16,000.
Turn it up Steve.
I have one of these, brand new, waiting for me to finish a bathroom refurb so that I can go out and play with it.

Latest posts

Back