Mitre joints with a router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhr

Established Member
Reaction score
In a recent thread someone said that they cut mitres for a box on a router table. If they see this post would they please explain how they do it.

I have tried it with a chamfer bit but not with any success.

Thanks
Brian

Lock Mitre Cutters work very well - once you have it set up!

It can take quite a while to get it set up spot on so plenty of test cuts on the same size wood will be required. Once you have it set keep and mark the last successful test as a template. That way next time it will be quick and easy get the right cutter height.

Many thanks for these solutions. Lock mitre cutters will not work on wood 10mm thick but I will try the suggestions.

Brian

there is another that will work on less that 1/2", but I cant remember whose- have a look through the trend, freud, and any other common ranges. I spent some time looking for this, only to struggle for nice hinges that could e used on 3/8" timber. might have been called a baby mitre cutter, baby mitre lock or something along those lines.

Thanks marcros.
Yes Trend's 10/97x1/4TC will cut 8 - 12mm. I don't usually look at Trend, being a fan of Wealden.

BUT NOT AT OVER £100

Brian

Brian,

just discovered that there is a cmt baby lock joint cutter too, but not sure who would stock it.

Brian
A 45º chamfer bit is fine. Are you using a mitre fence (or square of mdf run against the fence) to keep the end of the workpiece square. Its a case of adjusting the cutter height/fence and making test cuts
To glue up (or check your fit) try sticking the outside of the pieces onto masking tape and 'rolling' them up into a box
Matt

Latest posts

Back