mitre cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It runs in a groove.

I've a vague notion of it not being too critical that the fence is 45.000 degrees. It needs to be as good as it can be, but you can fine-tune the angle using the lateral adjustment of the plane iron itself.

And the base, labelled as "plywood" in that illustration, is hardboard on mine. Hardboard with the rough side up, so that the workpiece doesn't slide about too much.

srt":3dfozc2a said:
Thanks for all your advice guys i think the shooting board is the way to go i just do hobby work so i wont be splashing out on jigs.When i was cutting the base which is 140mm it never cut it true would a radial arm saw be more accurate for this type of cutting in oak/hardwoods?

In my experience, a radial arm saw is capable of being much more accurate for this kind of thing...

But, they're a right royal pain to get set up to a high level of accuracy initially, if the bearings on the carriage or the ways in the arm are worn they won't ever be accurate until that is fixed, you need to make very accurate angled blocks (stable hardwood or MDF/Ply) to set it for a given angle, and you'd still be well advised to use a shooting board to tidy up the saw cut unless you used a very fine toothed triple-cut blade.

If you want a radial arm saw, would benefit from the additional capacity/abilities or just happen to have been offered one at a really good price then by all means (the little Dewalt 125 & 1251 saws are still a step up from almost all mitre saws), but I really wouldn't advise getting one just for this job.

woodbloke":25dnhn67 said:
katellwood":25dnhn67 said:
woodbloke":25dnhn67 said:
Ever tried one? On an ordinary shoot it's the best plane I've ever used, far better even than a LN No9. If you're going to the AxBash in a few weeks you might be able to try one and then the penny will drop - Rob

But what if you're left handed, were discriminated against again :D
There's a left handed version in the pipeline :wink: - Rob

And finally got one (although the veritas version)

Thank you Santa

Right, this mornings project was a mitre shooting board.

Had an old desk top that I used for the base and some beech desk legs for the remainder.

Cut the 45deg end of the rails on the table saw then using a really fine cut did them again and found they were really accurate.

Have used it to mite the sides of a very small box and it came out really well.

Here's a couple of pics. One with my No9 the other with a No5 to give you a idea of perspective. Not the greatest of photo's but you will get the idea. The critical measurement is only the height of the mitred rails and that depends on the width of your plane. I used a fairly hefty cross rail as I didn't want it to bend down with use but it does make seeing small parts difficult. The groove I cut with a 45deg V router bit.

Shootng Board No9.jpg

Shootng Board No5.jpg

Regards

Mick

Attachments

• Shootng Board No5.jpg
    Shootng Board No5.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Shootng Board No9.jpg
    Shootng Board No9.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts