Mitre corners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to make some raised beds from new wooden sleepers, he wants four made, four sleepers high, the sleepers are 8 x 4 inches, he wants the corners mitred, what is the best way to cut the mitre's, I have tried once before with a circular saw but it does not cut right through and had to be finished with a hand saw, I have also tried cutting from both sides with the circular saw but if it is not set up perfectly it leaves a ledge, I have 128 mitres to cut, anyone got any ideas

Like the others have said, a mitre isn’t really ideal. I‘ve seen raised beds made like this by offsetting the sleepers on top of each other to make a really big finger joint. it works if the sleepers are roughly square (which I’m assuming as you’re attempting mitres). The sleepers were secured vertically with an corner interior batten and galvanized carriage bolts.

Thank you all for the replies, I will get in touch with him again and explain that mitre joints, in this case, offer no strength and that the overlap or large finger joints would be best, he will listen to advise, I have done this before about 8 years ago, and fixed the sleepers together with 12" long pieces of rebar, drilling holes through the sleepers, and 4" into the next one, with the right drill it is a nice tight fit, still as good as new today

Same as above - surely only the top ones need to be mitred? Or a separate top piece about the size of a decking plank attacked and mitred.

Surely people will be looking more at the plants and flowers than the bottom three levels of sleepers??!!

Thank you all for the replies, I will get in touch with him again and explain that mitre joints, in this case, offer no strength and that the overlap or large finger joints would be best, he will listen to advise, I have done this before about 8 years ago, and fixed the sleepers together with 12" long pieces of rebar, drilling holes through the sleepers, and 4" into the next one, with the right drill it is a nice tight fit, still as good as new today
this may be quicker Buy TIMco Index Screws 100mm From £6.46 Per Box | 100IN

they do them at 250mm long

Used half-laps on mine drilled through and pegged with 1” oak pegs.
2E89C972-6AC6-4807-A747-547F96ED6FCA.jpeg

2E89C972-6AC6-4807-A747-547F96ED6FCA.jpeg
5397200F-AD3F-4BA2-A2D8-D68DBE2EA16A.jpeg

probably mitre isn't the way to go, however, if I was looking to get a load of mitres done I'd try and get it done by the supplier as a bespoke order.

By the way for support brackets I've been very impressed by "indoors outdoors" I've normally bought through amazon, but you can go straight to them Railway Sleeper Brackets and Fixings | Indoor Outdoors

Hi

If you think about a mitred corner you end up with an edge that comes to a point, very vulnerable and allows rot to get in, like everyone says just butt them at the corners and alternate each level.

Just been reading a separate article about scaffolding boards and thought if you want a mitred finish, cap of with those. Rustic look and can replace cheaply when they rot??

I did mine with half lap joints, and tied all the corners in with m12 threaded rod. Lined the sides with really thick black plastic so the soil doesn't rot them, been good for 10 years now but they were only 3 sleepers high .. usage creeping in and I'm going to add another row in the spring

I think mitred sleepers is asking for big trouble !!!
they will open up within a week !!!

Back