Misunderstood tool.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many car boot hounds have seen one of these, lying in a "mixed" box of tools.

s702.jpg

It's not clear how useful they are. Indeed, I bought one (it was only a quid), took it home, fixed it on my bench next to my Record #52, and tried to work out ... what on earth it was for. Useless!

Enlightening eventually came from old Stanley adverts for an earlier model.

Here's the great grand uncles of the 702:

s700advert.jpg

in particular the usage diagrams:

s700usage.jpg

Completely unlike any other vise I'm aware of, but quite handy looking.

Sadly, many people seem to have forgotten this, since Stanley later bought out the larger,
stronger 5702:

s5702.jpg

This has nice conventional guide rails, which make it quite impossible to use the 5702 in the "beam held on the bench top" mode.

It looks like Lee Valley have been reading old catalogues though...

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 9,41665&ap

BugBear

Nice one BB, I too have one of these gathering dust and not realising it's uses :).
chris

bugbear":21dbq88l said:
This has nice conventional guide rails, which make it quite impossible to use the 5702 in the "beam held on the bench top" mode.
If you have a 5702, don't despair : clamp it to end of the bench as you would a 702, and use a flat plank > 1" thick to raise the workpiece sufficiently to clear the screw.

I seem to remember that we used these when I was at college to hold the shaft of an oar while we were shaping the front and back of the blade. The vise was attached to the end of the bench so the oar could lay flat and immobilised on the bench top for working.

Latest posts

Back