Mistakes are just opportunities in disguise - sometimes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
You know that mucked up spokeshave blank? Well I was loathed to waste a perfectly good piece of apple just 'cos it had a couple of holes in it, and while flicking through "Choosing and using hand tools" I came across just the use for it:

applehammers001.JPG

Enough for three of them; one for me, one for a galoot and one, erm, spare... :oops: Handle 13" long, head 3/4" x 1 1/16" x 2 1/4"

applehammers002.JPG

Ash handles with purpleheart wedges. BLO to finish.

applehammers003.jpg

The 1/8" brass is epoxied on, pinned and the pins abraded flush. On all but this face they're only just visible as a slightly different colour.

Good fun to make, and despite the small head delivers quite a good blow for plane adjusting and such 'cos of the long handle. The original was made by this guy who'll be familiar to FWW readers. Just thought you folks might be interested to see them. :)

Cheers, Alf

Nice one Alf!
Recognized them immediately-that Chan guy is awesome!
So you got one spare, eh? :wink:
Anyway, just wanted to say what a fantastic, eh, brilliant job you've done!
Licking it up,
Philly :D

Me! Me! Me! Go on, Alf - that Philly's got too many tools already :evil:

I've been after one of these since I got Chan's book "Classic Joints with Power Tools" :D

I did do a good job on the marking gauges, didn't I? :wink:

Yours grovelling at your feet,

Neil

Tsk. You're supposed to me madly inspired to rush out for some brass to make your own. :roll: Anyway the "spare" is a bit, erm, "second quality" shall we say? The mortise isn't quite as good a fit as I'd have liked and I'm frankly dubious about a knot in the ash handle. Definitely a seconds, or "waster" as I believe Marples would have stamped them (back in the days when they actually cared about quality...) So you're probably better off without it, honest. :roll: Anyway Philly'd only use it as background gloating material. :roll: :p Mind you I've got a couple more shorts of apple and a bit of brass left...

Cheers, Alf

Must clean tools, not make tools. Must clean tools, not make tools. (I know what you're thinking, but using tools is too far advanced an idea; I'll have to work up to that :oops: )

Alf

I don't mind second quality when it looks that good :) Nice job :wink:

Well, they all look pretty good to me, Alf - I think your idea of a second is a bit different to mine!

Just think what that Normite Philly might hit with it, and also his calender post today was pretty unforgivable, don't you think? :twisted:

Seriously, though - I am quite inspired to make one :) - yours really do look fantastic!

Neil

Really nice work, Alf. Did you consider leaving the brass off one end so you could use the metal to tap a blade and the wooden end to tap a plane body?

Neil,
You are killing me! :lol: :lol:
Now that's just being spiteful.......
Seriously, Nice one Alf-have been considering getting some brass ordered up. Mind you, have you seen that nice Lee Valley plane setting hammer? Brass one face, wood the other? Tempting, tempting....
Cheers
Philly :D
A Normite, and Proud. Kinda.... :wink:

Only joking, Philly :lol:

I must admit I can't see a space on your wall where one would fit, though :p - no such problems in my workshop :cry:

Cheers,
Neil

They do look wonderful, and inspiring. Looks like a good project for someone looking to expand their skills without risking large quantities of wood (um, that would be me, obviously :))

I'm taken with Phillie's notion of a wooden end, but assume you'd have to face that end with some long-grain hardwood. You wouldn't (couldn't?) just use the end-grain of the head itself??

Roger Nixon":283litsc said:
Really nice work, Alf. Did you consider leaving the brass off one end so you could use the metal to tap a blade and the wooden end to tap a plane body?
Thanks, Roger, and others. Well no, I didn't. Figured I needed all the weight I could get, and it's pretty amazing what a difference such a small amount of brass makes so I think it might feel unbalanced too. Anyway any woodie of mine should consider itself lucky to be whacked with a brass-faced 'ammer; better treatment than they've had from previous owners... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I could see how it could throw the balance way off and it wouldn't look so pretty.
I have some of those tools which have seen much harsher treatment, too. :lol:

Back