Missing vice mystery - Help appreciated

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_W

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeremy and I'm new here. I have inherited my grandfather's workbench which is probably at least 50/60 years old. I love the bench but sadly someone removed the vice at some point in the past and I'm left with a cut out where it was once mounted. I have attached 2 photos here and I'd be happy to take more and provide some measurements if anyone thinks they might be able to identify what fitted there once. I know nothing about vices but I've tried browsing and believe it may possibly be a Record vice that I'm looking for. The bench has always been in the UK. Alternatively, if anyone knows an 'expert' and can direct me that would also be welcome.

Many Thanks.

20210301_173430.jpg
20210301_173501.jpg

It could be a Record or Parkinson.

How wide is the cut out for the jaw ? I have both a Record 52 (7 inch jaws) and a Record 52 1/2 (9 inch jaws) I can't comment on Parkinsons. There is also Woden who made very good vices.

The Mig Welding Forum has a thread "Show us your bench vices", one of the members on there has posted some vintage catalogues in pdf form which you might find helpful.

Dropbox – Vices – Simplify your life

See if that link works, it may be of help.

Nigel.

looks like it would have been a standard English woodworking vice by Parkinson, Record , Woden or similar --- would need to know the width of the bench-top section removed for suggestions - these vices were mostly made in widths 10.5, 9, 7, or 6 inches, some featured quick release.

looks like it would have been a standard English woodworking vice by Parkinson, Record , Woden or similar --- would need to know the width of the bench-top section removed for suggestions - these vices were mostly made in widths 10.5, 9, 7, or 6 inches, some featured quick release.
The shape at the bottom of the cut out suggests the one fitted did have a quick release.

Thanks all for your replies. I've added an additional photo taken from above, if it helps at all. The width of the widest part of the cut-out is 7 inches.

20210301_210509.jpg

A Record 52 would fit that, but whatever you buy it wouldn't be too difficult to fill in and re cut the aperture. There are threads on this forum about fitting a vice.

Nigel.

One with a quick release I assume? There are some vintage ones around on eBay and then I can see that Irwin reproduce them now. I tried to post a link here to one I found on eBay for £99 fully refurbed but this site won't let me do that for some reason.

Also, is it the 52E I need?

Last edited:
Yes a quick release. Some of the prices on eBay are stupid, but for one in good condition £70- £80 is not too bad. One seller is asking £170 for them. I bought a 52 that's about 85 years old, it did have a crack in the casting near the QR lever, but it didn't affect the performance. Unfortunately you can't always see fine cracks that may be covered with paint. There's a 52 on eBay for collection only from Radstock nr Bath, starting bid £15. At the moment there are no bids with 6 days to run.

Nigel.

Yes a quick release. Some of the prices on eBay are stupid, but for one in good condition £70- £80 is not too bad. One seller is asking £170 for them. I bought a 52 that's about 85 years old, it did have a crack in the casting near the QR lever, but it didn't affect the performance. Unfortunately you can't always see fine cracks that may be covered with paint. There's a 52 on eBay for collection only from Radstock nr Bath, starting bid £15. At the moment there are no bids with 6 days to run.

Nigel.

I'd like to buy one already refurbed really. There's a 52E for £99 from Rotherham, South Yorkshire Might be able to get him down on that.

Hi Jeremy
There are loads of Record 52 quick release vices around and you should be able to get a decent one for a lot less than the one at £80, be careful as there are also quite a few plain not quick release ones as well, I almost bid on a lot of 5 vices that sold for £80 for the lot just a couple of days ago.

Have a look first on facebook marketplace in your local area as well as gumtree so you can avoid carriage charges. Personally I'd look for one of the earlier ones with the round rather than flat faced knobs but they're all ok. If you look on youtube there is a video showing the differences in the 52 1/2 model but the 52 is very similar just smaller. Note that the hole spacing can be different between the versions but it's not difficult to plug existing holes and drill new ones and as said the cut out isn't difficult to alter.
If you get the opportunity of a larger 52 1/2 with quick release at a decent price it's worth grabbing providing you're happy to alter the bench, plenty of videos on youtube or ask for help on here.
Record 52 1/2 Vice Comparison - Vintage vs Pre-Modern - Which Version is Best - YouTube

I'm in the middle of altering mine to take a Parkinsons 15 I've just refurbished.

05.JPG
04.JPG
01.JPG

Last edited:
I'd like to buy one already refurbed really. There's a 52E for £99 from Rotherham, South Yorkshire Might be able to get him down on that.
Watch the carriage costs Jeremy if they aren't listed as part of the price. That vice will weigh about 17kg and will be more than 60cm long

Hi Jeremy
There are loads of Record 52 quick release vices around and you should be able to get a decent one for a lot less than the one at £80, be careful as there are also quite a few plain not quick release ones as well, I almost bid on a lot of 5 vices that sold for £80 for the lot just a couple of days ago.

Have a look first on facebook marketplace in your local area as well as gumtree so you can avoid carriage charges. Personally I'd look for one of the earlier ones with the round rather than flat faced knobs but they're all ok. If you look on youtube there is a video showing the differences in the 52 1/2 model but the 52 is very similar just smaller. Note that the hole spacing can be different between the versions but it's not difficult to plug existing holes and drill new ones and as said the cut out isn't difficult to alter.
If you get the opportunity of a larger 52 1/2 with quick release at a decent price it's worth grabbing providing you're happy to alter the bench, plenty of videos on youtube or ask for help on here.
I'm in the middle of altering mine to take a Parkinsons 15 I've just refurbished.

Record 52 1/2 Vice Comparison - Vintage vs Pre-Modern - Which Version is Best - YouTube

Probably won't go for the the 52 1/2. It's the 52/52 E that confused me though. They are both 7 inches, yes? I'm making sure I can see that they're quick release and yes, the postage is often overlooked so I'm messaging the sellers on that. Some of them are collect only. Thanks for all the help!!

Probably won't go for the the 52 1/2. It's the 52/52 E that confused me though. They are both 7 inches, yes? I'm making sure I can see that they're quick release and yes, the postage is often overlooked so I'm messaging the sellers on that. Some of them are collect only. Thanks for all the help!!
Sellers don't always quote the correct model number and it's often difficult to tell in any case, just look at the photos for the quick release lever and at the general condition, ask the questions are there any cracks, does the screw slip, is the quick release working.
When you look at the photos from above if you can see the screw then that's ok but on some models that was covered by a curved metal section to keep shavings and dust off the threads and it's a useful addition, you won't be able to see the thread from above if that's fitted.

That one Nigel linked to is exactly what I'd go for, needs more than a pot of grease but a wire brush or wheel in a drill will work wonders. If you wanted to take it apart which is dead easy you would have a vice for life

That one Nigel linked to is exactly what I'd go for, needs more than a pot of grease but a wire brush or wheel in a drill will work wonders. If you wanted to take it apart which is dead easy you would have a vice for life

I actually rang that guy earlier before finding this forum and he was very unhelpful. The one you mentioned with a cover over the screw is here I think. I'm basically paying £39 for the refurb and the cover, unless I can get him down a little.

Yeah that's the cover but there are plenty around with it. Personally I wouldn't turn one down because it doesn't have that feature.

Back