Missing vice mystery - Help appreciated

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to mislead you though Jeremy, the older version is my personal choice there's absolutely nothing wrong with any of them. The reason I'm swapping mine is because a few years ago I needed a new vice in a hurry and bought a new Faithful branded one which has worked fine, I was going to get a 52 1/2 but was offered this Parkinsons locally from a friend and it's hardly used, I a;lso have the smaller 7" Parkinson on the end of my bench so I know they're reliable.

I'd suggest that as you probably aren't in a hurry go with your head not your heart as you can afford to wait and they are a very common vice.

Oh, sure. I'm not in a hurry but it would be useful. I just found that last one appealing as it has a nice patina and looked fairly clean.

Looks a bit disastrous that cut-out for the vice! I'd look at replacing the whole front apron and starting again

Just found this one which looks good to me. Round knob!

That one looks reasonable, not tarted up. From around the 1940s/50s I would guess. But do look out for a reasonable Parkinsons or Woden, they both produced very good vices. Prices tend to be high on eBay so try Gumtree as well. I picked up a good Samsonia Perfect no37 J metalworking vice off Gumtree a couple of years ago for £25. Prices on eBay might well be in excess of £100 for that vice.

Just found this one which looks good to me. Round knob!
That's the same as what I have in my bench and I'm happy with it. It is a bit smaller than the bigger ones (obviously) and you might want a larger one. Small hole in your bench can be enlarged.

My brother bought me mine and as close as we are I doubt he paid more than 30 via Gumtree. Gumtree is cheaper than eBay.

Looks a bit disastrous that cut-out for the vice! I'd look at replacing the whole front apron and starting again
Have to disagree with Jacob. I doubt that you will see the cut out much once the vice is in the way and you are standing up. If you replace the apron, you would loose all that history, bumps, scrapes and paint splashes from your Grandfather.

Back