Missing part of my router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have recently lost the cutter spring from my Power Devil router (the spring sits behind the collet and appears to stop the router bit shaft from entering too far into the motor). I am unable to obtain a replacement spring. Being a complete woodworking novice, my question is; is it safe to use the router without the spring ?

IN MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE OF ROUTERS, I'VE ONLY USED THREE TYPES, THE SPRING (WHERE FITTED) IS THERE EITHER TO PREVENT THE SHANK BEING SET TO FAR INTO THE COLLET (AS YOU SAY) OR TO HELP THE COLLET POP-OUT ON LOOSENING.

SINCE THE COLLET TIGHTENS ONTO A TAPER, THE SPRING SHOULD NOT AFFECT THE GRIP OF THE COLLET IN SERVICE, PROVIDING YOU DON'T PLACE THE BIT TOO FAR INTO THE COLLET PRIOR TO TIGHTENING. IF PLACED TO FAR THE BIT WILL BOTTOM OUT GIVING POOR GRIP. IF IN DOUBT MARK YOUR BITS.

HOPE THAT HELPS.

PS SORRY FOR THE CAPS - FORCE OF HABIT.

I have a PowerDevil router on my WoodRat. I do not have the spring - lost it years ago! I just make sure the shank is about 2 to 3 mm from the bottom

HTH

Les,

If you can insert a small piece of soft rubber or, ideally, a dried globule of silicone. Something with a degree of elasticity.

Rgds

Noel

Back