Misheard lyrics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the song Midnight in Cats, one of the lines goes
"If you touch me, you'll understand what a penis is"

For years I swore that Mick Jagger sang 'Well if you ever plan to mow the grass ' - then I heard Chuck Berry sing ' plan to motor west ' ( Route 66 ) :rolleyes:

I remember at discos back in the 80's when Wham's song Get down on it came on, quite a few lads would sing along with "Get down on it, Suck my helmet" there were other verses too.

I wasn't a Stones fan, so it's not surprising that I spent 40 years wondering why he was a little red rooster who laid the golden egg!

The Nights / Knights in White Satin is hilarious. Never occurred to me either that it could possibly be "Nights" and yet now it seems so obvious. Even so, I still do - and forever more will - picture satin robe clad knights eerily and slowly moving on horseback through some misty enchanted wood. It fits the song so well.

(In the same way, and on the same theme of luxurious night wear and bedding, I can't hear Black Velvet without imagining an 80's vixen type smooching around on the sheets. Apparently it's about Elvis though! Sorry, I digress from misheard lyrics though).

When my daughter was young I persuaded her that Madonna's La Isla Bonita was a song about food, and that:

"young girl with eyes like the desert" was
"young girl with eyes like potatoes"

while

"tropical the island breeze" was
"chocolate oozing over me"

OK, so not really a misheard lyric. At least not for me - my daughter believed it though!

This last one was something that I do have to embarrassingly hold my hands up to. I thought it was simply:

"Doo Doo Doo, come on let's do the conga
Doo Doo Doo, straight across the floor".

I was in my 40s when I found out it's "choo choo choo" and a "train across the floor". The dance move should have tipped me off, but somehow I missed the true essence of the lyrics.

Last edited:
Back