Mirka Hand Sanding Block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick post to tell you about this if you don't already know.

MirkaSandingBlock.jpg

I bought the smaller one 70 x 125mm for less than £15 from Axminster but got a bunch of the abrasives from eBay as they were cheaper. I had already seen the abrasives at Jims place a while ago and he said he was impressed.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/mirka-sanding-block-with-extraction-prod851921/

The abrasives are very good but mated with the hand sander that is connected to my dust extractor they are fantastic.

MirkaSandingPad.jpg

They pads are wearing really well and don't look like they will need replacing any time soon, the fact they are full of holes means the extractor work brilliantly. It really is dust free sanding.

Was I the only one who didn't know about these and in fact everyone uses them?

Mick

Attachments

• MirkaSandingBlock.jpg
    MirkaSandingBlock.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 198
  • MirkaSandingPad.jpg
    MirkaSandingPad.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 197
I have them and like them but..... they do have limitations, I've found.
I cut the corners off to stop them catching and ripping.
They don't do a very good job at removing slight imperfections like a raised spot of paint, they abrade all around it and the imperfections remain.
They can squeak like a chased pig sometimes, which soon gets very annoying.

The dust free sanding makes up for those small annoyances though.

Agreed, a really worthwhile product. Good on wood, but I recently helped a friend prep some patched up plaster for painting - he'd been using a power sander (with extraction) and making a huge mess; I took a Mirka pad and got all round the room on one coarse pad, with no mess and no need to wear an uncomfortable mask.

Particularly good and quick for rubbing back primer off MDF edges with the extraction design. Even tho the Abranet's more pricey... the milage definitely makes it worth it :)

Cheers

Jim

Hi Mick,

You might also want to consider their interface pads. They sit between the block and the abranet strips letting the dust through whilst attaching the abrasive strips with velcro.

Thanks,
Neil

Back