Mirka DEROS 5650cv Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyB

Established Member
Reaction score
With the increasing amount of sanding I have taken on as of late I have been wanting to upgrade to a new random orbit sander.
Currently I am using a Makita BO5041 125mm which I have used for a long time and is a great sander. I also have a BOSCH GEX150 Turbo 150mm.

What Im looking for in a new sander:
Reduced weight- The awkward parts I am sanding have me holding the sander vertically so a reduction in weight would be great.
Reduced Vibrations- Im finding the Makita increasingly tough to use due to the vibrations so a sander which emits less is number one priory.
125/150mm pads- Ideally to save costs I would like to stick to 150mm sanding pads as most of my work is large areas, The bosch sander is my go to for large areas though. There are occasions where the 125mm comes in handy for my more profiled parts so having a sander that can accept both would be ideal.

I had my eye on the MIRKA DEROS 5650cv from the outset and didn't compare this to other products. I use MIRKA abrasives and have been happy with those.

So a quick comparison online and ManoMano seemed to have the best deal. £400
MIRKA DEROS 5650cv with box, hose, 50 + 5 150mm Abranet pads of assorted grits. Pad savers in 125mm & 150mm sizes which is a nice addition.

A big box arrived with the main box plus an accessory box.
IMG_2152 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_2153 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Sander with additional Backing pad.
IMG_2154 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

To remove the pad you slide a spanner between the pad and sander and engage it to the nut. My other sanders use a series of screws so that makes changing backing pads easier.
IMG_2155 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_2156 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Size compared to my hand. (I wear a large sized glove for size reference)

IMG_2157 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_2158 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_2159 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Power and extract ports. The power cable clips on and the release is on the underside, then the extract screws in below and has a rotational coupler which means the tube is free to rotate which is nice. However with the hose attached it also means you can't detach the power cable without unscrewing the extract first. May bother some. I don't like how the hose attaches to the sander; you have to screw it on and off which takes a little bit of time. I don't have a dedicated sanding station so will be putting the sander in and out of storage between uses. I would prefer a quick lock mechanism for speed; however the hose attached well and I can't see it falling off.

IMG_2160 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_2165 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

The tube and power cable come in a nice 4m length, interestingly the manual also has an option for a 10m tube.

IMG_2162 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Im using a cyclone unit, I already have a henry 4m hose which I use around the shop so I will be making an adapter so I can use this hose instead.

IMG_2161 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Interestingly the MIRKA hose is tapered. At the vacuum end it measures 40mm and at the tool measures 32mm. It tapers to this size for the last one meter.

IMG_2179 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_2180 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Paddle switch:
I really like the paddle switch to start the tool and the plus/minus buttons to increase and decrease speed are a nice feature rather than conventional wheel. I find the speed adjustment via the paddle switch a bit of a gimmick. Its is quite hard to hold it in the exact position to keep the same speed.. at least for vertical sanding. Over a horizontal flat surface I would imagine it is easier to manage. The Sander stops very quickly and means you can go from using it to putting it down within a second, something which I didn't expect but is a great feature.

Vibration:
I sanded for about 4 hours non stop and didn't have any recurring pain during or the next day which for me is a big win. I find if you press slightly off to one side, essentially tilting the sander vibrations do increase. Holding it flat to the surface with minimum pressure it feels good.

Weight:
Nice and light, didn't ache holding it up vertical for extended periods and its small size makes it nice to hold.

Pads:
I haven't used the 150mm sanding pad yet but the ability to swap them other fairly easily is a nice feature.

Ergonomics:
The sander fits my hand well and feels more comfortable than my Makita by having your hand directly over the centre of rotation.

Build quality:
I expected a high quality machine at this price point and got it. Machine feels solid and feels like a professional tool. Not much else to say.

Dust:
I set up a dust meter about 60cm away and sanded some Oak chair frames with 180 grit, for about two hours. There wasn't a great deal of material to remove so not sure how conclusive this test was. The frames are quite narrow and the 125mm pad overhangs the parts which is more like to shoot dust into the the air than sanding a part with full coverage. I was also using the supplied Abranet pads. Normally I would run an air cleaner at the same time but have turned it off for this test.

The workshop started out at:
0.3um 650
0.5um 180
1.0um 10

Over two hours they fluctuated and the maximum they got to was.
0.3um 1050
0.5um 260
1.0um 40

IMG_2197 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

I haven't got used to the paddle switch quite yet when changing papers. A few times I have flipped it over and it starts going, or accidentally starting the sander by leaning something on the paddle switch.

Once I get some more time with it I will update!
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Here they are used more in industrial settings and not many amateurs know about them. Festool having done a better job of marketing to everyone.

I have hand issues with vibration too and have found wearing Impacto Air Gloves to be the best anti-vibration glove around.You might want to add a pair to your arsenal.

Pete

Back