Minimum space for using a tablesaw....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerG

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the exciting workshop planning stage. My first priority is a tablesaw as I think that most of my work will be based around this piece. (Despite having no experience but from a lot of reading)

My workspace isn't huge, the room dimensions are 19ft x 9ft but with the cupboards, other storage and workbench we are talking an internal dimension of 15ft x 8ft (could put the workpiece over the workbench if I had to this would yield 17ft'ish instead of 15ft).

Is this going to be enough room for me to fully utulise something like the Scheppach TS2500ci?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary
Welcome to the forum!
As a rule of thumb, you need as much room in front as behind when using the table saw. 15 foot gives you 7 foot-ish each side (if you place the saw in the middle of the room). That sounds pretty good for most furniture making requirements.
Where is the door in your workshop? On the long end or the short? If you can site the door on the outfeed side of the saw you can cut longer stock by feeding it out through the open door.
Hope this is of help
Philly :D

Plan ahead is the way forward

I made all my work tops and top of all (well not all but most) machines and the top of the table saw the same height as my workbench, then you can run wood across the workbench, for example, to feed it into the table saw, and the wood rests on the table for the morticer and the router table as I cut with the mitre saw.

Each cupboard has little adjustable feet to make sure I could fine tune the whole thing.

Once I had made the plan I slowly, over 2 years, made all the cupboards to sit under all machines, to bring them to the chosen height.
It took me a lot of time but now I'm very happy I did it.

My whole shop is designed to machine wood up to 2.4m in length. I can do longer but I have to drag the machines around (very rare)

I also designed in a central dust extraction system and made room for the pipes behind the cupboards, this is yet to be built - but nothing needs to be done apart from plumb it in.

Luckilly at our new house, I have build a workshop slightly larger than the one here so all the cupboards with their mounted machines will just slide straight in and off we go (so the plan says!)

Gary,
Welcome to the forum!

My workshop is 16'x9' to the bare walls and I have a Scheppach TS4010. I used to have a TS 2000 - bought because I felt a larger saw would be too much but work I was doing at one stage demanded a larger saw, so I changed it. I have found that the larger saw provides a good sized surface (especially with the RH extension up) to do eg assembly on.

The TS 2000 was too small for such alternative use and was thus a waste of space when not in use, so overall the larger saw makes better sense for me.

Thanks for your quick responses!

The door is in the long side and I can't really point my work out that way. The worktops will all be homemade and I do plan on making them the same height as the tablesaw.

I still have no idea what attachments or bits I should get with the TS and whether or not I will be able to fit or should use, the extension tables. I guess that will come with time and experience.

Gary

Hi Chris,

I don't suppose you'd like to post a quick plan/360pics of your workshop, just I have the same size shop and I'm always looking for space!

Cheers

SimonA

Back