Minimax bandsaw and Cooksley spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got the opportunity to buy a couple of these second hand (and probably for a reasonable price).

Does anyone have any views/experience of either? I can't find much on the Cooksley. The Minimax looks quite a handful :lol:

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger

Not sure what type of bandsaw you have the chance of but I have an old Minimax Professional 32. It's not very big (32cm bandwheels) but it's all I need. It's basic but solid and well made.

My main gripe is that it doesn't have a mitre slot ... and the obvious one that it's obsolete so Minimax don't have spares for it. I needed a new tensioning spring but have now modified the machine to use valve springs from a truck engine. I did try emailing SCM UK but they obviously couldn't be bothered answering so I phoned and got some disinterested bloke who told me they had no spares.

The machine was my uncle's until a few years ago. He fitted a brush in the lower cabinet because there wasn't one to brush the dust off the tyre. I have fitted a stop screw for returning the table to 90 deg.

As I say, it's nothing fancy but solid and does what it says on the tin really

Hi Scott

Thanks for the info. Useful info about the mitre...probably would have overlooked that. This one seems to be a reasonable size...19" throat and 9" max height and the guy is after £200 and so I may well just go for it.

Roger

Back