Miniature Traction Engine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would share with you all the long term project that is on my workbench at the moment.

This is a 1/20th scale working Burrell traction engine. The 1/20th scale was an accident as I took an drawing from the Burrell works and scaled it in elevation to fit on a page of A4.

The smokebox and axle is starting to come together

brurrell-front-axle-001.jpg

The rear wheels have also been designed, machined and assembled:

rrwh-spokes-13.jpg

These are just 97mm in diameter.

This is an image of the parts laying on the A4 drawing
traction-engine-arranged-on-plan.jpg

The final image shows the number of parts I haven't made yet rather than the number complete......

Lovely job. A man after my own heart (and before he died, my dad was a traction engine man too. But in his case it was primarily a Fowler Showman's engine). But for me, the primary "trigger" is/used to be "it's got to fly"!

Good luck though, you've got lots of fascinating work ahead, and please keep us posted - especially pix please.

Tip: Blue permanent marker works as a great alternative to engineers blue and it's cleaner.

This is my marking out of the hornplates for the Burrell in 1/16th inch thick brass
hornplates-01.jpg

This is them then cutout, filed to the lines and then the pair of plates split apart (they were held together with double sided tape)

hornplates-02.jpg

These were then bolted to the firebox. I just had to prop all of the parts together and get a photo.....

hornplates-04.jpg

this and many more projects are on my gallery page

I spent Saturday afternoon adding the beading to the edge of the tender. It's not perfect as half-round brass beading tends to rotate as you try and bend it flat around corners. I should have made some jigs.

tender-bead-07.jpg

I also used some very old flux, it worked perfectly considering just how old it is....
fluxite-03.jpg

I posted the image from the tin of fluxite as it just makes me smile.

Beading looks good mate. A +1 for Fluxite, no matter how old, but if not teaching granny, DO make sure you flush under running water with an old toothbrush to get rid of ALL residue.

P.S. my tin is so corroded you can't see "the little devil" any more!

Things like fluxes tend to be a little less effective than they used to, or at least they seem to be to me. I assume the nasty ingredients that made them so effective are no longer permitted. It's the same for electronics solder. Modern lead free just doesn't seem to work as well. I acknowledge it could simply be the rose tinted spectacles of age or the lingering effects of lead poisoning.

No, I think you're right Paul. Not so sure about electronics work (I only use cored solder for the little I do in that area and it still works OK), but definitely is so for metal working "soldering", both hard n soft. Less "acid" in them I guess. Fortunately I have a good stock of old-fashioned tinman's lead solder (+ a gurt big iron) and just use Fluxite for soft soldering.

This is just beyond stunning.
Lovely to see the Frys label - reminded me that my best mates dad used to be senior chemist there many years ago.
Thanks for sharing your incredible work.
Greg
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the comments. As a maker you always see the issues with it. I'm a self-taught engineer over many years, but still make things in a way that probably makes the pro's wince. I get there in the end by making parts a few times.
The Fry's label on the front of the tin is so good, it great and would make a great T-shirt.
Best regards,
Nigel

Back