mini wood lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Lewis

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has experience using these mini wood lathes,

e.g. something like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUKOER-Polishe ... 407&sr=8-5

The use I have is - I'd like to be able to turn some chess pieces. This seems like a relatively inexpensive way to do that and the compact size means I could (at a push) just use that on a desk rather than find room in shed for a larger version.

I doubt it could be used for anything 'serious' but for just an amateur/hobby - can't decide if it seems good enough or I'd just be wasting my money and better to save the pennies for something better?

Its not often you heart of someone saving up for a machine mart tool. :shock: :lol:
Buy the very best you just cant quite afford, because then if it all goes badly at least you have some resale value.

NO!
14091747.gif

Attachments

• 14091747.gif
    14091747.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 430
Have you thought about joining a club? You'll see the merits and downsides of different machines and quite possibly pick up something a lot better second hand for that money - £200 will buy you quite a good small lathe second hand (possibly with a few bits and pieces thrown in) and if you move on to bigger (or other) ones you will get your money back if you buy well. The stuff that goes with the lathe will cost you more than the lathe.

Re: Joining a club?
Yes, I've been looking at 'maker spaces' - I live in Teddington - and not a massive amount near me. I was thinking of booking a day or w/e course and then (as suggested above) getting something better second hand. The consensus is the mini-Chinesium is a waste of money ...

Another very effective waste of money is the wood zone / aldi / lumberjack / clarke etc lathe. These are all the same re-badged far east trash which you will regret buying. Do a search for lumberjack at around £140 and you will see the model I mean

K

Just looking on Ebay - there are a few s/h small Record and Axminster lathes in the £50-200 range. Some with tools or chuck. With these you will have a "proper" tool with a ready resale market if you later want to sell.

I think they would be fine for small turning - chess set, pens, small bowls etc.

If you have a drill with variable speed how about making your own? There are commercial jigs for this conversion but the good old ones are thin on the ground and may be expensive, the DIY versions cost little but time (and not too much of that).

The money you save going this route can be put towards the turning tools, but for miniature work those too are not hard to make from HSS or solid carbide stock.

Back