Mini track saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, is there such a thing as a mini track saw available in the uk ? Something similar to the Grizzly from the USofA.

A quick google of “mini plunge saw & track uk” bought up several suggestions but it depends on your budget?
Clarke do one just over £70

Mafell do one, it has several advantages over the large ones such as an ability to trim a door in situ, cut skirting board undercuts etc… however on the rail the max cut depth is 35mm and it has less power.

It does come with a Mafell price tag and they are the only supplier of blades of that size, but it is lovely.

Does anyone have experience of the Clarke Mini Circular saw mentioned in one of the earlier postings. I have a Metabo cordless saw Circular saw but it is an unwieldly beast for smaller work. I also own a Black and Decker circular saw of 1970's vintage which i have not used for a very long time but a machine of the same size does appeal to me.
Hearing any experience from an user would be useful.
Thank you,
Russell

Does anyone have experience of the Clarke Mini Circular saw mentioned in one of the earlier postings. ......
Thank you,
Russell

I have a Rockwell version a buddy gave me one Christmas. It isn't something I would have bought but it has come in handy a few times because of its size. There is no track for it here that I know of and I haven't been looking.

Pete

Thanks for the responses here, I was hoping that the likes of Makita, dewalt, Metabo, or Bosch would have one; Im really not too keen on Clarke or the other budget brands although I guess some are not so bad for DIY which is all I need it for anyway. The Maffell gear looks good but crickey it is so expensive. The Exakt tool posted above, im not sure (I will need to look into this some more) but does it cut right up to the edge of the track cause the vid shows the cut about half inch or so to the side of the track; which defeats the point really in my case.

The Exakt tool posted above, im not sure (I will need to look into this some more) but does it cut right up to the edge of the track cause the vid shows the cut about half inch or so to the side of the track; which defeats the point really in my case.
You definitely need to watch more closely.

The nearness to the track will depend on the direction of cut and it clearly cannot cut as close as a track saw that has a rubber strip that it trims to size. But in the frame cutting left to right it is much closer to the edg than 12.5mm

It is also clear that the rail doesn’t have grip strips under it, they would have featured them if they did.

Worx make one doubt it's on rail though.

Cheers James
I’ve got one and I don’t really like it. It’s not rail-guided; it will plunge cut - sort of - but I found it could easily snatch and jump back at you if you started to veer off line: a combination of using it one handed and the small blade maybe.
I only use mine with a guide now - and as I also have a big track saw that means not very often.

What do you need it for?

Depending on the application and potential use schedule you might well be better off with a full size track saw or making/modifying your own.

I’ve got one and I don’t really like it. It’s not rail-guided; it will plunge cut - sort of - but I found it could easily snatch and jump back at you if you started to veer off line: a combination of using it one handed and the small blade maybe.
I only use mine with a guide now - and as I also have a big track saw that means not very often.
That matches my experience with a circular saw and home made guide, ’possible to do but not a good experience” the complete opposite of my TS55 and rails, ‘easy to use and a pleasure’
Of course for tiny work it may well be the better tool.

That matches my experience with a circular saw and home made guide, ’possible to do but not a good experience” the complete opposite of my TS55 and rails, ‘easy to use and a pleasure’
Of course for tiny work it may well be the better tool.

Me too, I have a homemade track for my evolution circ saw. It does the job, but it requires care and concentration. Great to have for rough work outside though as I can just screw it direct to a deck or a fence without worrying about clamps or damaging my festool tracks.

Does anyone have experience with the Mafell KSS 40 18M bl? The price is somewhat a shocker but it looks like a good alternative to several saws for a small workshop?

I have the exacta mini saw (not tracked, though). I used it to remove a laminate floor and it was really good for that job. But it did have a tendency to kick back if you let your attention waver. It is quite powerful for a saw held with one hand.

Back