Mini track saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bosch 12v saw will work with the Bosch rail. I have one and use it regularly for flooring jobs. I think for its size it is excellent, but have never tried it with the rail. I had the Worx version but gave it away.

The Bosch 12v saw will work with the Bosch rail. I have one and use it regularly for flooring jobs. I think for its size it is excellent, but have never tried it with the rail. I had the Worx version but gave it away.

Looks interesting ! Is that cordless or corded ? Could you post a link ??

For application I really could use a mini track saw for accurate cutting of furniture board, ply, ect. I did make (two) jig(s) for my small 500w Skilsaw but somehow ended up cutting into the jigs themselves rendering them useless, so no exactly ideal and I dont want to make another jig. Also my small Skilsaw needs constant adjustment, it seems to lose its right angle often (which I discovered again yesterday on a prize piece of board, so that went onto the scrapheap). The skilsaw is alright for rough ripping but thats about it. So with that in mind Im seriously considering purchasing an accurate mini track saw where I can just put the track where I need to cut, and cut it! Im spending way toooo much time clamping straightedges as a guide for my circular saw and need to make it easier on myself. A full size track saw is really too big for the sort of work I do. Thanks for all this response its gold-dust.

What I really need is a table saw, a router table too would be great, as well as a bigger shed, and likely a load of other tools, and more boxes to put my boxes in lol.

Last edited:
What I really need is a table saw, a router table too would be great, as well as a bigger shed, and likely a load of other tools, and more boxes to put my boxes in lol.
You've come to the right place, and even those with large workshops full of tools can relate to this :LOL:

Well, a small workshop design seems to be my thing! 15' x 8' 6". I have a table saw, planer/thicknesser, band saw, chop saw, router table (which lives beneath my workbench which lifts up out of the way to give access to the router table), dust extractor and multiple hand tools and a small supply of timber. Of course all the usual bits of drills/router bits/nuts/bolts/screws/pocket holer jig etc. etc.

The downside is if I ever put on weight from my current 11 stone I am stuffed!

If I were in your shoes I would get a normal sized track saw rather than a mini. The mini will never give you consistently clean cuts nor be as accurate. Even a cheap regular track saw like my Grizzly will do a good job even if it is at the low end of the price scale. Ultimately it's your choice though.

Pete

Does anyone have experience with the Mafell KSS 40 18M bl? The price is somewhat a shocker but it looks like a good alternative to several saws for a small workshop?

The Festool HKC 55 is another option, multi purpose and always gets rave reviews.

So with that in mind Im seriously considering purchasing an accurate mini track saw where I can just put the track where I need to cut, and cut it!
That is a nice thing to hope to achieve.
the problem is that to get to that point will cost shed loads of cash.

if it’s wood that you want to cut then for small parts there is the accurate tool that is almost half price now.
JMPv2
$1,181.99. $669.00

Nobody can see a market for a tool that accurate with a track as accurate as the Festool, Maffel, etc that can sell enough at a high enough price and in high enough numbers to repay the development costs.

Is it possible? Of course.
Will it be made? Almost certainly not.

I have a homemade track for my evolution circ saw.
Like Rorschach, I have a homemade track and a [fill-in-a-brand-name-here] corded circ saw. I have a workshop that's too small to deal with an 8x4 sheet, so this is my only "first cut" solution, on trestles outside - when it's not raining. It's far from ideal.
Bearing in mind a limited budget - and the fact that I'm well over the Threescore Years and Ten - so seriously gentle hobby class, what do others recommend? I'm looking, really, only at making reasonably accurate cuts in sheet materials up to 18mm. I'd favour the freedom of cordless (I have Makita kit (and a Badaptor!).

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...rc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_containerThis one from Screwfix looks ok and is based on an angle grinder body.

Cheers James
I’ve got the erbauer one, bought to trim all the battens and rafter tails on my workshop build. The T55 was just too bulky for the rafter tails at height.
the mini saw is quite snatch, the safety depress is awkward one handed as well ( a cable tie sorted that bit out) 😳

on by summerhouse build I had put the first row boards overhung by 15mm too much to fit the guttering, I had forgotten to allow for felt tray. This little baby trimmed the 15mm off with its guide bar all round the 20m perimeter in fifteen minutes. A great tool to have in the armoury, although limited in the times it gets used.

if it’s wood that you want to cut then for small parts there is the accurate tool that is almost half price now.
JMPv2
$1,181.99. $669.00

Nobody can see a market for a tool that accurate with a track as accurate as the Festool, Maffel, etc that can sell enough at a high enough price and in high enough numbers to repay the development costs.

Is it possible? Of course.
Will it be made? Almost certainly not.

I cannot find the above listed in the UK unfortunately, I will have to find it. The more I look at the Maffell it makes me want one, but at £700 it cannot be an immediate purchase, I just might wait till I can find a deal or get a 20% off voucher from Screwfix, who do stock them !

I cannot find the above listed in the UK unfortunately, I will have to find it. The more I look at the Maffell it makes me want one, but at £700 it cannot be an immediate purchase, I just might wait till I can find a deal or get a 20% off voucher from Screwfix, who do stock them !
You are unlikely to ever see a better price than the one at the moment. You are never going to find them at Screwfix. They are available from Bridge City tools who make them, Axminster have them listed at a current £929.98 inc VAT Available to order, not in stock.
I'll acknowledge we all use powertools and some machinery, but that JMv2 jointmaker is for making what are effectively machine made furniture. No different from some factory products. I honestly couldn't describe anything made using it as 'hand made'. Hand assembled maybe.
There you are completely misguide. It’s a supremely accurate saw for small parts. By your reasoning using any accurate tool would not classify as ‘hand made’.

Do please tell us which tools, in your opinion, exclude something from being ’hand made’?

As a starter let’s go with;
JMPv2, router table, track saw, sliding table saw, table saw, Domino. 🤔

Last edited:
If you want a tool for a single job then it’s probably not the most cost effective option, but if you want a go-to tool for the next decade, it’s maybe just the thing

You definitely need to watch more closely.

The nearness to the track will depend on the direction of cut and it clearly cannot cut as close as a track saw that has a rubber strip that it trims to size. But in the frame cutting left to right it is much closer to the edg than 12.5mm

It is also clear that the rail doesn’t have grip strips under it, they would have featured them if they did.

You are correct regarding the closeness of the blade to the track. If cutting with your right hand the blade is about 0.25mm from the rail but as you say, cutting using your left hand you need to make an allowance of 12.5mm. The rail does actually have two rubber strips fitted to the base to prevent slippage.

Back