Mini lathe help please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Established Member
Reaction score
There seem to be hundreds out there, many similar but can't find one that will do everything I want.
I am building a wooden clock, and will probably build more as I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
My main problem is turning and accurately centre drilling some of the smaller parts. Oh and also, as a 79yo pensioner, not a lot of money :cry:

The ideal lathe will turn up to about 30mm diameter - preferably the chuck will open to that so I don't have to make spindles to hold the pieces.
Maximum turning length, only about 150mm.
Ideally I need a tail stock that as well as having a rotating centre will also take a small chuck - about 6mm.

I have a mini lathe thing that only has a 6mm chuck capacity! It's driving me nuts having to drill everything and make a spindle for it to get it into the lathe. Once there it works a treat!

Attachments

• IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 920
Proxxon have the best reputation for small lathes, but are pricey.

I've just acquired a Hobbymat universal lathe and i think i'm going to have a lot of fun with it. they have a good reputation and as they are now quite old can be had for £300 or less.

Yes I asked about that. That is the motor speed, mounted on top of the spindle so I presume there is a belt drive to the chuck - I hope.

it just says (optional 20,000).
I suspect thats all youll get. You need to ask the exact question to get an answer from a chinese company.

if you are building wooden clocks, I would go for something like a jet 1014, ideally. To be honest though, most wood lathes will do what you want them to, better than what you have. Look at ebay for record, Axminster etc.

try to get something with 3/4 x 16 to 1 x 8 threads. Modern stuff will have this. avoid Clarke!

Indeed marcros, the Jet 1014 looks good, presumably one can mount a chuck at the head and the tai stocks but even the basic is too much for me.

what is the budget? The problem that you will have is that you seem to need a chuck (probably £70) and a drill chuck for the tailstock (£20), so that adds nearly £100 to any lathe that you find before you have any tools and sharpening.

have you looked for a local club or mens shed? For a modest membership fee, you could probably get access to their equipment.

marcros":4g4i2t8e said:
what is the budget? The problem that you will have is that you seem to need a chuck (probably £70) and a drill chuck for the tailstock (£20), so that adds nearly £100 to any lathe that you find before you have any tools and sharpening.

have you looked for a local club or mens shed? For a modest membership fee, you could probably get access to their equipment.

That small lathe had a half decent sized chuck. If I can fit a small one on the other end t'would do the job so hoping they come back positive. £200 is about my limit - nearly two weeks pension :shock:

Yes I've thought of a "local" shed or similar, the nearest being about 12 miles away and of course you're stuck with when they're open, probably only one day a week.

The jaws on that chuck are intended to hold metal, not wood. Other than discs, which sit within the jaws, you should only cut wood with the tailstock in place, for support.
The chuck looks to be the type that uses tommy bars to adjust & thus a self centering scroll chuck - but that needs confirming.
You might be better posting in the Lathes & Woodturning section.

caveman":lxyvwhie said:
Have dumped the "mini" idea and bought a Proxxon Micromot DB 250 MICRO Woodturning Lathe with head and tail chucks!

I had a small lathe on my wish list, and the above were one of those I was concidering. Then circumstances dictated that a fridge/freezer went on the list at the top, marked URGENT :(

caveman":lxyvwhie said:
Hope I've done the right thing! :shock:

Only you can decide that. Please let us know what it is like when it arrives as I'm sure I am not the only one interested in buying one.

Just had a message that it's on the way so will do! I feel for you Geordie Joe! My winter fuel allowance paid for mine :)

It has indeed and it's brilliant! I have already turned small pins and pegs down to 6mm dia but also rounded a square to 35mm dia. Very pleased with the quality and the expandable chuck makes all the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 312
Back