Mini-gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Bootfairs?

Yesterday I parted with £20 for this, barely one mile from home:
fifty-two-and-a-half-01.jpg
Gotta love local small-ads!

Seriously, I'm pretty chuffed, since my other 52 doesn't have exactly parallel jaws* and it's a PITA sometimes. This one's probably going on the end of the bench. A dog would've been nice, but I'll cope I expect.

Regards,

Eric-of-the-many-vices :)

*my fault, I think, when cutting the slot for the rear jaw fitting it 26 years ago (when I'd literally never heard of a router!).

Attachments

• fifty-two-and-a-half-01.jpg
    fifty-two-and-a-half-01.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,189
Eric The Viking":mqq6vsf1 said:
A dog would've been nice, but I'll cope I expect.

Easy enough to drill a hole in the wooden facing of the front jaw and fit a dog into that.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1wq4fp8l said:
Easy enough to drill a hole in the wooden facing of the front jaw and fit a dog into that.

Absolutely.

The other, very simple approach is just to clamp a block in the vice - of you're using the "dog" you're unlikely to be using the vice simultaneously.

But anyway, this one's for the left hand end of the bench, and I really need the dog at t'other end for planing. I saw this on Axminster's site:
340133_inset1_l.jpg

not expensive and easy to fit.

I'm still a bit smug, mind :)

E.

Oh, and this one's got a tubular cover for the thread, which my other one doesn't. I haven't looked to see how that works. You can just see it (out of focus) in the picture - it would be a handy retro-fit to keep sawdust out of t'other one, if it's do-able, or I might swap them.

Hi, Eric

Its the same as mine with the cover over the screw, cracking bit of kit.
Why not just swap the whole thing over?

Pete

Yup, I'm thinking that.

The back jaw of the existing one is mounted behind the front timber on my bench, so the latter forms the jaw in use. It has a small mortice into the chipboard substrate of the benchtop to bring it as close to the surface as practical. It's that which I think I didn't get right, but I know the jaws are slightly squiffy too. It's due for having a fresh piece let in anyway (DIY metalwork wot's done it!).

The 'new' one seems to be square, but it's a bit of a job checking out the old one (the bench hasn't been moved for about 15 years).

Still, can't make an omelette, etc.

E.

Superb deal...amazing what these things go for new and then you get bargains like this.

All my vises came from bootfairs at this sort of price (one was a fiver!) but they needed a fair bit of fettling. The older ones are better anyway!

Well done my friend! =D>

Jim

We were sitting snuggled up on the sofa together last night, watching "the Mentalist". A key bit of the plot turned on the villain keeping secrets from his spouse.

In the commercial break, she turned to me and asked, "So what secrets are you keeping from me?"

I thought about it for a moment, then said, "I have vices."

"I know." She said.

:)

Back