Mini digital cassettes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProShop

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some mini dv cassettes from my Sony camcorder (now sold) and I would like to copy them to cd or other digital means so that I can edit them.

Any ideas much appreciated.

ProShop":2vtzxxb1 said:
I have some mini dv cassettes from my Sony camcorder (now sold) and I would like to copy them to cd or other digital means so that I can edit them.

I guess nobody in the family has a similar camera, there is always the sony editing recorder/player but that's rather a pointless expense if you no longer have a tape camera. How many hours of tapes do you have? is enquiring of video transfer service viable cost wise.

CHJ":1787c452 said:
ProShop":1787c452 said:

How many hours of tapes do you have? is enquiring of video transfer service viable cost wise.

Quite a few tapes, I'll look into that, many thanks

Don't think you are talking about the same standard, Mini VHS tapes are several times wider than the mini camcorder version.

Hi everyone, just joined tonight, been lurking for a couple of months.

I have a Canon HV20 that uses Mini DV tapes and Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

I don't know if standards are different but if my camera would read your tapes I would be willing to dump them onto DVD.

Read my profile to learn a bit about me, PM me if you want to take up the offer.

Bill.

Mini DV is a regular tape standard for camcorders, and the most common way of getting them into your computer is with a FireWire cable from your camera to your PC. Obviously both pieces of hardware have to have a FireWire connection.....
All video editors will have a Capture From Camera function. The video gets dumped into files (in my case AVI files) which you can then edit in a NLE editor such as Premiere Pro. Simpler editors like Windows Movie Maker will also have a similar function.

So basically you need a machine capable of playing them (eg a camcorder) and a machine capable of understanding them (eg a PC with an Editor) and a cable to connect the two.

S

Steve Maskery":30m40hn4 said:
Mini DV is a regular tape standard for camcorders, and the most common way of getting them into your computer is with a FireWire cable from your camera to your PC. Obviously both pieces of hardware have to have a FireWire connection.....
All video editors will have a Capture From Camera function. The video gets dumped into files (in my case AVI files) which you can then edit in a NLE editor such as Premiere Pro. Simpler editors like Windows Movie Maker will also have a similar function.

So basically you need a machine capable of playing them (eg a camcorder) and a machine capable of understanding them (eg a PC with an Editor) and a cable to connect the two.

S

Problem for the OP though as he says, he's SOLD his camcorder.

ProShop":30m40hn4 said:

Yes, I do realise that, but it doesn't alter the fact that that is really what he needs if he wants to do the job himself. It doesn't have to be the same camcorder on which they were recorded, so a borrowed one could be used. Perhaps I should have been clearer.
S

Proshop, where are you based? I have a sony dv cam that uses mini DV. Haven't used it for years but last I checked it was working fine. Perhaps we can sort something out.

Hope this isn't hijacking this thread, but I acquired a Sony Digital 8 (which I think is the "official" name for the cassette size being talked about) a couple of years ago. Have found the Sony software a bit of a pig to use for downloading and editing stuff - what do experts on here recommend?

And if OP happens to be in North East Scotland, loan of my camera to read the tapes would be possible.

Dick - I think we are talking about the more modern and much smaller "mini DV" tapes not the earlier "Hi8" (8mm) tapes which were generally used on Analogue Camcorders?

If they are the Hi8 types then an Analogue Capture Card will be required for a PC - though you can get round that by copying initially to a Digital Camera tape and then to a PC or Mac.

Either way some means of playing tapes are required.

Ro

No, the machine is definitely digital, though the cassettes are the same size as Hi8. I think it's a TRV145e, but can't check as my daughter is using it for work at the moment. So no capture card is needed, although obviously the cassettes have to be played through the camera via Firewire on to the computer.
What I'm looking for is some better software than the Sony official version for editing once the data are on the computer.

Dick,

The tapes you have are more than likely to be the digital version of Hi8 which is 'Digital8'.

Re the software, I mainly use pinnacle studio (not sure which is the latest version) and I've also used Ulead video studio but I prefer pinnacle.

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift.

Regards

Steve :)

Back