Mini CNC machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
After changing the z-axis rails and increasing the stiffness of the x and y backlash I now have a Genmitsu 3018-pro that can accurately engrave hardwood.

z-axis-spindle-05.jpg

OK, quite a few upgrades. But the lettering is 22mm high and 4mm deep, using a 1.3mm diameter end mill/burr.

z-axis-spindle-04.jpg

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
When do you stop upgrading a machine? I think I have spent more effort upgrading this than I have making stuff....

New x-axis rails - this now looks more like the new upgraded version of this cnc, a Genmitsu 3020-pro max

genmitsu3018to3020-02.jpg

The rails are now much stiffer in themselves and they are bolted to the aluminium extruded structure of the mill. A much more sensible design than round rails that can bend.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
Just made a video to explain how to align the head parallel and square to the table using a set of feeler gauges and some easy to make pointers.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
and my first proper cnc project is a Kant Twist Clamp - the cnc parts are the plates machined from aluminium.

kant-twist-clamp-01.jpg

the clamp is going to be tiny

kant-twist-clamp-03.jpg

now I need to make the jaws, thread etc - these will have to be just made with manual machines :(

Farm Labourer

Established Member
Reaction score
Ooznest Workbee. I bought one (s/hand) just before lockdown and sold it a year later for what I paid for it. It's a decent enough machine and did all I wanted at the time. It was restricted in Z movement so I have bought a different machine which I'm happy with. I did make sure I could use the software before I bought the first machine, though, that was the litmus-test for me!

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm using this little cnc machine on the limits of its capability. In the video you can see and hear the effect of adding sandbags to the aluminium sheet.

Reduce the vibration and you immediately improve the cut.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
This router has been a battle of upgrades mods and learning. Engraving brass has been a problem, but I just made a sprung 60° D-bit holder and the results will this are superb. Here is a video of the design of this smaller cutter holder.

I then set the cnc machine up to run over the design 5 times and each time move down 0.1mm in depth. This is also working rather well on mild steel.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve now made up some stiffening brackets using 1mm aluminium sheet, this is probably one of the most significant upgrades you can make.

These triangulate between the chassis, upright post and the upper cross beams. They also join the upper cross beams.

Stiffness and mass (in the right place) help any machine tool run smoother and more accurately.

Simple to make and a significant upgrade.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
A little bit of a walk around my machine and watching it now happily machining brass...

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
A knowledgeable chap who worked in Laser technology on a thread on here (can’t remember which) highlighted the significant dangers with laser engravers and that the Chinese units typically do not comply with shielding. One thing I remember from the post was that reflected laser was a major risk at some considerable distance from the workpiec. I would be extremely hesitant to operate anything that can cut wood or anything with a laser without it being UK sourced from a reputable manufacturer to ensure that it had all the proper grading.
The fibre laser profile machines I used to have in the factory had to be fully light sealed when in use for this reason. I used to buy Trumpf and Bystronic machines.