• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Mini CNC machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
After changing the z-axis rails and increasing the stiffness of the x and y backlash I now have a Genmitsu 3018-pro that can accurately engrave hardwood.

OK, quite a few upgrades. But the lettering is 22mm high and 4mm deep, using a 1.3mm diameter end mill/burr.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
When do you stop upgrading a machine? I think I have spent more effort upgrading this than I have making stuff....

New x-axis rails - this now looks more like the new upgraded version of this cnc, a Genmitsu 3020-pro max

The rails are now much stiffer in themselves and they are bolted to the aluminium extruded structure of the mill. A much more sensible design than round rails that can bend.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
Just made a video to explain how to align the head parallel and square to the table using a set of feeler gauges and some easy to make pointers.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
and my first proper cnc project is a Kant Twist Clamp - the cnc parts are the plates machined from aluminium.

the clamp is going to be tiny

now I need to make the jaws, thread etc - these will have to be just made with manual machines :(

Farm Labourer

Established Member
Reaction score
Ooznest Workbee. I bought one (s/hand) just before lockdown and sold it a year later for what I paid for it. It's a decent enough machine and did all I wanted at the time. It was restricted in Z movement so I have bought a different machine which I'm happy with. I did make sure I could use the software before I bought the first machine, though, that was the litmus-test for me!

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I now have a working Kant-twist clamp - quite happy with this is a simple project.

and I've improved the design of the cnc cut parts for next time

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm using this little cnc machine on the limits of its capability. In the video you can see and hear the effect of adding sandbags to the aluminium sheet.

Reduce the vibration and you immediately improve the cut.