Mini CNC machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After changing the z-axis rails and increasing the stiffness of the x and y backlash I now have a Genmitsu 3018-pro that can accurately engrave hardwood.

z-axis-spindle-05.jpg

OK, quite a few upgrades. But the lettering is 22mm high and 4mm deep, using a 1.3mm diameter end mill/burr.

z-axis-spindle-04.jpg

When do you stop upgrading a machine? I think I have spent more effort upgrading this than I have making stuff....

New x-axis rails - this now looks more like the new upgraded version of this cnc, a Genmitsu 3020-pro max

genmitsu3018to3020-02.jpg

The rails are now much stiffer in themselves and they are bolted to the aluminium extruded structure of the mill. A much more sensible design than round rails that can bend.

Just made a video to explain how to align the head parallel and square to the table using a set of feeler gauges and some easy to make pointers.

and my first proper cnc project is a Kant Twist Clamp - the cnc parts are the plates machined from aluminium.

kant-twist-clamp-01.jpg

the clamp is going to be tiny

kant-twist-clamp-03.jpg

now I need to make the jaws, thread etc - these will have to be just made with manual machines :(

Ooznest Workbee. I bought one (s/hand) just before lockdown and sold it a year later for what I paid for it. It's a decent enough machine and did all I wanted at the time. It was restricted in Z movement so I have bought a different machine which I'm happy with. I did make sure I could use the software before I bought the first machine, though, that was the litmus-test for me!

I'm using this little cnc machine on the limits of its capability. In the video you can see and hear the effect of adding sandbags to the aluminium sheet.

Reduce the vibration and you immediately improve the cut.

This router has been a battle of upgrades mods and learning. Engraving brass has been a problem, but I just made a sprung 60° D-bit holder and the results will this are superb. Here is a video of the design of this smaller cutter holder.

I then set the cnc machine up to run over the design 5 times and each time move down 0.1mm in depth. This is also working rather well on mild steel.

I’ve now made up some stiffening brackets using 1mm aluminium sheet, this is probably one of the most significant upgrades you can make.

These triangulate between the chassis, upright post and the upper cross beams. They also join the upper cross beams.

Stiffness and mass (in the right place) help any machine tool run smoother and more accurately.

Simple to make and a significant upgrade.

A knowledgeable chap who worked in Laser technology on a thread on here (can’t remember which) highlighted the significant dangers with laser engravers and that the Chinese units typically do not comply with shielding. One thing I remember from the post was that reflected laser was a major risk at some considerable distance from the workpiec. I would be extremely hesitant to operate anything that can cut wood or anything with a laser without it being UK sourced from a reputable manufacturer to ensure that it had all the proper grading.
The fibre laser profile machines I used to have in the factory had to be fully light sealed when in use for this reason. I used to buy Trumpf and Bystronic machines.

Just been pulling together a list of all of the updates to my Genmitsu 3018-pro: Upgrades to a 3018-PRO - glue-it.com

genmitsu-upgrades-01.jpg

1. Spindle - angular contact bearings, belt drive and ER11 chuck that I have ground to a higher accuracy
  2. Z-axis - Tiamu aluminium frame and homemade spindle holder
  3. X-axis Rails - changed 10mm round rails to MGN12 linear rails
  4. Y-axis Beams - changed 10mm diameter to 12mm diameter and upgraded linear bearings (the balls in the bearings are now spherical!)
  5. Sand Bag Damping - simple and cheap way to add damping to any machine (also used in my large manual mill)
  6. Frame Stiffness - added brackets that triangulate the uprights
  7. X and Y Axis Stepper Upgrade - point of caution is that the controller has a limited current output and hence this might be the limiting factor
  8. Controller Upgrade -
  9. Finally I checked online and realised I was running an old original version of the controller. Upgrading to the GEN3 controller has made a significant improvement and no more jumping / missing steps on the X-axis.

This Sainsmart Genmitsu 3018-pro or otherwise now known as Trigger's Broom works really well machining brass and aluminium, tasks it just could not achieve out of the box.

That has come a long way from the selection of parts that arrived!One common feature of the entry level machines seems to be that insufficient consideration is given to the racking strains across the gantry.they mostly have similar steppers on the X and Y axes and while the gantry side plates have a good spread to the rail bearings,the comparatively slender side plates lack any significant lateral bracing.An external web that covers the span from the lower rails to the top of the gantry beam will add stiffness and leave the work envelope un-cluttered.

That has come a long way from the selection of parts that arrived!One common feature of the entry level machines seems to be that insufficient consideration is given to the racking strains across the gantry.they mostly have similar steppers on the X and Y axes and while the gantry side plates have a good spread to the rail bearings,the comparatively slender side plates lack any significant lateral bracing.An external web that covers the span from the lower rails to the top of the gantry beam will add stiffness and leave the work envelope un-cluttered.

Yes, the bracket on the upright stiffens the thin section, braces it to the horizontal gantry rails and bolts into the base frame.

genmitsu3018-brackets-02.jpg

Not perfect as I bent them up by hand out of a piece of 1mm thick aluminium, having made a cardboard pattern first.

A fillet welding into the corner of the tab that bolts into the base frame would be really good.

Has anyone any experience of the mini CNC routers from China?

- something like this : 130.5US $ 55% OFF|CNC 3018 Pro 2 in 1 Woodworking Engraving Machine & Laser Engraving Machine DIY Mini CNC Machine 3 Axis Pcb Milling Machine|Wood Routers| - AliExpress

I have an almost one-off need for some small items and wonder whether it might do the job? My knowledge of CNC is less than minimal but I'd be willing it to give it a punt for the relatively low cost

All comments/thoughts appreciated
Hi, I've just joined the forum and looking at buying a small format CNC machine myself. I'm very hesitant about buying anything that doesn't give local support and advice, particularly, if like me you are new to CNC. Are you able to get support from China for ongoing issues or advice ? I've talked with CNC-Step, Stepcraft Systems, Scott+Sargent and Stoney CNC who sell the i2rcnc range. I'm leaning towards Stoney as they were hugely helpful and will provide ongoing support. I think the i2rcnc, whilst a little more pricey looks like the best quality. Any thoughts on this ?

Hi @Gina Smyth - you dont mention what you are planning to use the CNC for. Could those be overkill? those are way above my budget. I purchased the sainsmart proverxl 4030. Upgraded the spindle to a dewalt router and for £1200 i have an almost turnkey solution (there was a bit of assembly required). it does only have 40 x 30 capacity, but can be upgraded. I've no complaints with it, seems very accurate for what I use it for (signs and jigs) mostly. Have a look at James Dean Design on youtube for a selection of machine reviews at a bit lower price point that those you mention

Hi @fezman

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. I'm looking to take on a number of projects that i've seen on social media that has inspired me to look at things a bit differently. Whilst I don't have endless amounts of money I'm not going to look at cheap machines, as you ultimately get what you pay for. I think being a newbie to CNC, what is important is after sales support and the i2rcnc ticks a lot of boxes. They have offered a 30min demo by video call, which i thought was very useful. Doubt i'll get this with many others. I'll check out James Dean on YT though and many thanks again for the reply.

Hi @fezman

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. I'm looking to take on a number of projects that i've seen on social media that has inspired me to look at things a bit differently. Whilst I don't have endless amounts of money I'm not going to look at cheap machines, as you ultimately get what you pay for. I think being a newbie to CNC, what is important is after sales support and the i2rcnc ticks a lot of boxes. They have offered a 30min demo by video call, which i thought was very useful. Doubt i'll get this with many others. I'll check out James Dean on YT though and many thanks again for the reply.
replied to your post in another thread gina, ive just got a new machine from stoney CNC, not knocking everybody elses choices or bragging, it was an expensive purchase and i thought long and hard before doing it, but you get what you pay for with these machines.

Back