Mineral Spirits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Quickie

Can anyone tell me a brand name for Mineral Spirits or Naptha? I hear the yanks talking about it all the time, but I'm not sure what it is/how to buy it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Is it Methylated Spirits? I've heard Mineral Spirits mentioned but never been exactly sure what it is.

Cheers, Ed

ahh it's as simple as that is it. Ok thanks Paul. I'll use some of that. It's certainly cheaper than the Naptha.

Thinning a varnish for a chopping/bread board, a-la-woodwhisperer. I'm going all out on saving money this xmas. Everyone is getting rubbish I made ;)

white spirit should be fine for that. Paint thinners ok too

paint thinners only for laquer tho :)

white spirit is more 'oily' than paint thinners if it matters

Tom,

are you sure you want to be varnishing chopping boards? After all, you do tend to end up eating small bits of the chopping board with your sandwiches....

I am about to make one or two as well (when I can get the metal-working gear finished with and out of the way).....I was going to try olive oil again for a finish.

Mike

I use liquid paraffin or 'mineral oil'

as opposed to mineral spirits. which is completely different.

I think the idea on the wood whisperer was to thin it so it soaks in and seals the grain rather than puts a shiney surface on the board. then you oil over the top

Wizer

Please do not use Varnish/white spirit on a chopping board...Just read the label on white spirit, it is nasty stuff, as well as most varnish's

Just a wipe over with some olive oil. now and again.

Paul

Maybe Wizer doesn't like his rellys?

I've got a great mercury-cyanide finish for irritating relics.

Tom,
The naptha sold by finish suppliers is sometimes referred to as VMP Naptha (varnish maker's and painter's naphtha). Naptha evaporates faster than white spirits and I prefer it for some things for this reason.

Well I know the yanks aren't as bright as us Brits, but I'm not sure it would have been published in Popular Woodworking if it was dangerous to one's health? Would it?

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/artic ... her_block/

The reason I am attracted to this finish is that you can scrub it with water. It's all very well advising not to let it get too wet, but I can't guarantee that my recipient won't. I think the idea is that it seals it from within. It's not meant to put a film-like shiny finish on the surface.

to be on the safe side I will use Naptha, then I can be sure I've used the same stuff as Mr Whisperer.

(damnit I was trying to get a project done without posting on the forum, I'll get there one day)

MIGNAL":3k7zffmx said:
Tusses":3k7zffmx said:
lighter fuel is napthaline , which is a bit different

Are you sure Tusses?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

According to Wiki Napthaline isn't mentioned as a lighter fuel, Naptha is.

ah - ok about napthaline.

Naptha used to be used to describe a range of different 'wieght' oil products. I thought Napthaline was the one in lighter fuels. I still use fels naptha soap for lots of things !

Back