Mineral oil on top of Danish oil query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbee56

Established Member
Reaction score
Right,
Firstly I know I’ve screwed up, so let’s continue.

I‘m a bit of a skip rat and came across a large oak kitchen worktop cutout when the fitters cut a sink. It was a great find
…. cut it out as a sink preparation insert for my own kitchen
i gave it a couple of coats of danish oil and that’s where the issue started.

Unfortunately the danish oil used is Barrettine Woodcare Danish Oil and having looked at the details (afterwards 🙄) it’s not food safe.

I also have food grade mineral oil which I know IS food safe.

my question is : have I wasted the cutting board, or will applications of the mineral oil over the Danish Oil save the day ?

……….I could have kicked myself in hindsight as stupidly I presumed all Danish oil was food safe

Thanks, I’ve read the reply a few times, tried cutting out the double negatives, are you saying that all finishes are food safe once dry ??

You could strip with white spirit and then fairy liquid..
Recoat with food safe stuff?

Prior to coming in ive been on a bike forum, discussing brakes. Read the title 'mineral oil' as being brake orientated, then got to the Danish oil bit and had a real mindfart thinking Whaaat !! :LOL:

I would be inclined to go with phils answer.... you could however give it a couple of weeks and then go over with mineral oil. I would imagine as long as the original oil has soaked in and done its thing, the mineral oil will still be worthwhile

Prior to coming in ive been on a bike forum, discussing brakes. Read the title 'mineral oil' as being brake orientated, then got to the Danish oil bit and had a real mindfart thinking Whaaat !! :LOL:

yep, I ride a cbr600, and quite understand…. And to add a bit more confusion, I’m a beekeeper and use the mineral oil in that as well

Last edited:
I would be inclined to go with phils answer.... you could however give it a couple of weeks and then go over with mineral oil. I would imagine as long as the original oil has soaked in and done its thing, the mineral oil will still be worthwhile

I like the idea, with due respect and thanks to Phil, I’m gonna do just that. I’m sure it’ll be safe anyway after Phils advise, but it doesn’t hurt to be a bit more cautious at the moment.

god help me if I told mrs it’s ok, then got belly ache. I’d be in the doghouse for years

It’ll be fine, there’s food safe and then there’s don’t drink a pint of it. What you might ingest is anything on the surface if it formed a film so a quick sand or scrape would get rid of that.

Gently heated beeswax and mineral oil makes a board butter that gives good water repellency to stop any odours sinking in. I use it on mine and am happy doing garlic without worrying about flavour transfer next time I use it

Latest posts

Back