Milling Machine DRO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just installing a Machine-DRO measurement system on my Dieg SX2.7 milling machine. First part is me offering up parts and working out what goes where:

I'll post the other parts as I go

In Part 2 of the installation I fit the Z-axis magnetic strip and encoder. Plus I fit the display unit.

another big push needed to fit the X and Y axis....

In the latest video I finish the X and Y axis installation - even though I end up with 2 goes at fitting the X-axis encoder...... :(

back to the model making

In the videos you here me talk about the space I created at the back of the column and I wondered if I could fit a bracket. Well, I've made a bracket:

SX27-bracket-03.jpg

This Sieg SX2.7 stiffening bracket bridges the base and column and increases the static stiffness by 1.5x - very very happy with that

A video describing the design, build and installation of this bracket

Any feedback welcome, I'm looking for a catchphrase to use in my videos....

Just been using the mill and making end mill cuts on mild steel and the stiffening bracket has significantly improved the level of vibration that I'm feeling on the machine.

Biggest issue I have found with these little Chinese machines is that they don't come out of the box with any sort of adjustment, so the gibs are usually way too loose leading to chatter. I have also yet to see one that was trammed accurately. A bit of time spent setting them up properly and they are pretty good bits of kit. Like the brace idea, nice and simple and I can see how it would make a useful improvement.

Biggest issue I have found with these little Chinese machines is that they don't come out of the box with any sort of adjustment, so the gibs are usually way too loose leading to chatter. I have also yet to see one that was trammed accurately. A bit of time spent setting them up properly and they are pretty good bits of kit. Like the brace idea, nice and simple and I can see how it would make a useful improvement.
Not sure I like the adjustment on the gibs, would rather have a number of grub screws and locknuts. However, checked alignment, squareness etc and this machine was pretty much spot on.

Nice update.

I came close to buying a Seig (X3) several times but the reported online issues of vibration put me off. I eventually went for a WMD30 type machine (although I suspect it is actually a Weiss). I fitted an Easson ES, similar to this but with an extra Z encoder added which is summed into the input. This was a game changer when fitted as whilst there is little backlash in the beds and spindle the inbuilt dials were useless. In recent years I picked up a Syil X series CNC (think it's a 4) two years back but have not had time to install it in its final position yet.

Both machines are R8 tooling which is just as well as I simply couldn't justify doubling up on that. One of the better accessories I've found is a good alignment indicator to check and reference tramming.

Last edited:
One final update to the milling machine is to add sand bags to the column, essentially adding a lot of damping.

sand-bags-01.jpg

The sand bags are roughly 3.5" x 5" and weight ~0.3kg each. I managed to fit 4 in the lower volume of the column before refitting the stiffening bracket.

This type of approach can work very well as the sand adds lots of damping, hence applicable in other areas - eg loudspeaker stands are often filled with sand.

The sand bags are roughly 3.5" x 5" and weight ~0.3kg each. I managed to fit 4 in the lower volume of the column before refitting the stiffening bracket.
I'm surprised if 1.2kg of bagged sand is adding damping to the extent that you can notice the difference. I would have thought an epoxy pour would be more effective. Interested in your feedback on this over time. I've looked at adding damping to mine but not sure I can be bothered with epoxy myself but also not sure that resting weight will cut the mustard either.

I'm surprised if 1.2kg of bagged sand is adding damping to the extent that you can notice the difference. I would have thought an epoxy pour would be more effective. Interested in your feedback on this over time. I've looked at adding damping to mine but not sure I can be bothered with epoxy myself but also not sure that resting weight will cut the mustard either.
Agree I'm not adding much, but my reasoning is that a milling machine normally has little to no damping. Adding even a small amount of damping will have an effect. Adding more will probably not add much more.
I'm not convinced by the epoxy pour as the stiffening plate closes off the column lower section and stiffness is all about cross-section dimensions. Filling up the core now with epoxy will have little effect.

Back