Milling countersunk slot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chipmunk":1hdqkfk6 said:
Hi Scholar,
This is just a suggestion but from looking at your brackets, 4 screws into the wall seems a over-kill to me. I think that you could probably get away with one, or two at the most, IMHO.

So, if it helps when moving the brackets slightly why not drill a centre-hole, or two, into the wall-plate and use these new holes to mount the bracket onto the wall?

If you think the empty screw holes look too bad then drill the old four holes in the masonry over-size, plug with some filler of your choice, redrill and plug and put the now decorative, but structurally unnecessary, screws into this?

No need for a milling machine or lathe though :(
...but you'll have earned one by the time you're finished :D

HTH
Jon

That is thinking outside the box and a very good suggestion. There are already screws into two faces of the frame and the screws into the wall really just provide rigidity to the long projection that would flex otherwise. Two screws would almost certainly be sufficient.

This gives me a good range of solutions that I think will work.

I suppose I had better get on with it some time. It is a job I have not really looked forward to as I much prefer making stuff rather than correcting someone's bad work. I have enjoyed this part of the exercise more than actually doing the work.

Thanks again to everyone for suggestions - you only failed on one part of the mission and that was to provide an incontrovertible case for buying a milling machine...(although you have said I can reward myself when the job is done so maybe it is mission accomplished...).

Cheers

scholar":2zmt449d said:
you only failed on one part of the mission and that was to provide an incontrovertible case for buying a milling machine...(although you have said I can reward myself when the job is done so maybe it is mission accomplished...)

You need to look at this from a different point of view.
If you can afford it then the only thing you really need to worry about is...can SOMEONE ELSE make an incontrovertible case for you NOT buying a milling machine.

If not then get one. Deceiving oneself is perfectly acceptable when it comes to toys/tools. :lol: :lol:

To be serious here, I think whether or not to buy a milling machine ( or whatever) is basically a case of (a) can you afford it and (b) can you justify the purchase - do you need it? If you are a youngster then money can sometimes be a bit tight, but you will have many years of use from it. If you leave it for now and buy it a few years down the line then you will still end up spending the money but wishing you had done so years ago instead of managing without

So basically - do you need a milling machine? Can you afford it? If the answer to these is yes then why wait?

K

Back