Millers Falls No3 'restoration', advice and opinions welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Millers Falls 3 drill from a very nice, helpful and generous member of UKW. (Thanks again fella if you're reading. :wink: ) I like to peruse the older threads on handtools on here for the wealth of information and I'd seen Millers Falls drills again and again and lots of love for them. So when one came up I decided to see what the fuss was about despite it missing a few bits. Minor things. Like a chuck and a handle. I'll put it on the lookout list I thought. Long story short after a major bit of luck on my part and generosity on the sellers he found a chuck and chucked it in.

So into the rust bucket it all went save the brass and wood handle of course. (A trial run for me of Shield Technology Restore Rust Remover from Mathew at WSH. I love this stuff btw. Bit pricey to be sure but so neutral it's a joy to use.) I was a bit undecided on the extent of the restoration. I don't want a new tool look. But the rust had to go and in the course of it I had to look at the red paint on the wheel. Faded and half gone there was a moment of decision so the brass drill brushes came out. In for a penny.

Strangely for me I didn't take any before photos.

Anyway here it is, with most of the pre 'work' done. The wheel has been acid etched and primed but is taped up so it will clean up better than it looks with any luck.

5VZ7ovH.jpg

So. Finally I get round to it. I'm wondering does anyone have either a source for buying the winding arm/parts? I've had a look on the web but nothing jumps out. Then I started wondering. I could make one from some brass.... Might look nice Sooooo....
Does anyone have the offset arm they could measure so I could try and replicate it or does anyone know where I might find the dimensions? :D

http://hyperkitten.com/pics/tools/fs/ar ... 10/d4.html

(with respect to HyperKitten I hope he doesn't mind me borrowing his photos)

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Cheers
Chris

I don't have a no 3.
But I do know someone who has. Have a good look round Wiktor Kuc's excellent site at wkfinetools.com .If the answer is not already there, send him an email. He's a great enthusiast for old tools and has restored lots of MF drills. He's also a helpful chap who actively supports sharing useful information.

I have a No.3, don't really think photos will help you much, but here it is anyway :) :

Millers Falls No.3 by Rhyolith, on Flickr
Millers Falls No.3 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

I will be back to my workshop early next week and can measure some stuff on it then if thats helpful? I do like to see hand drill restorations, particularly Millers Falls! :D

Just a few comments about the No.3: It is not the best Millers Falls drill I have used by a long shot, it tends to be stiff and not that smooth under load (drilling) even though the un-loaded smoothness is lovely. So don't expect to much from it in that regard.

---------------------

Extra Comments

The No.2 is perhaps the best example of why Millers Falls is held in such high regard, its the longest running production hand drill ever I believe. The No.90 and 980 are also worth looking up.

As a general rule, I only buy hand drills with either 2 pinions or crank wheel support as the performance of these is significantly better under load.

Here is one example of a hand drill with crank wheel support (the half oval piece of metal with a screw through it over the main crank wheel near the chuck), there are many versions of mechanisms that forfill the same function (keeping the gears in optimal engagement):
Goodell Pratt No.5 1/2 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Thanks for the information and pics Ryolith it's very helpful. Even if it's not the best drill MF's made I'm sure it'll do me ok with my skills shortage. I really appreciated the detailed reply.
If you get the chance to measure up when back in your workshop that would be great if that's ok but if not I reckon I can guestimate it ok.
I'm going to contact Wiktor Kuc's site first as per Andy's suggestion as they seem very friendly and invite questions. Chances are that parts are at a premium especially with US postage so in all likelihood going to forgo the original handles and bodge something together. Just been looking at Chronos prices for a bit of suitable brass plate to make a new arm.... Is it still a frankendrill if you don't plan on selling it? :| I only have green paint in the shed. :mrgreen:

If it's not too much trouble? I have some 1/8 x 1/2" brass bar ordered. Only a couple of quid. The unfortunate green paint is drying nicely on the wheel. I kinda feel that the new winding handle is going to force me to polish up the original brass handle but in for a penny. I bought what was either a clone or a massive bargain for parts by chance yesterday. £4. Won't really know till it turns up but hopefully thats the handles sorted. Photos were unclear.

Many thanks for the effort and thought Ryolith, it's much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

I picked up my No.3 for 50p, love those car boot buckets full of rusty things :)

Heres some pictures with a ruler next the the handle from various angles, let me know if you need to know anything more specific.
Untitled by Rhyolith, on Flickr
and the screw that attaches the handle if thats useful..

Thanks very much fella. Perfect. Brass strip arrived yesterday along with a little pot of marking blue. Look mum I'm an engineer! Things I learned yesterday. That blue gear goes quite a long way... best not to open it carelessly on the Mrs wooden chopping board. Lol.

So I've been messing about with the files. Actually I really enjoyed doing this. I know it's pre-school level but it was a new little challenge for me. Cut the brass strip down to size and cleaned it up. All done by hand (with a cider in the other hand and some Radio 4 play on about Euthanasia aeroplanes on in the background. :| Very civilised.
Anyway. I'm a bit stuck. I need to sort a handle for the winding arm. I bought an old drill for a couple of quid then decided I couldn't kill it for parts. It was too nice and it worked. *sigh.
So.
Being a bit of an eejjjit, I started thinking. :D
What about a knurled brass knob of some description instead. A brass drawer handle? Obviously it needs to spin. I was thinking brass walking cane heads at one point.... :?
Cheap is good.
Can anyone give me a cracking solution that I haven't thought of? I quite like the look of the drill now although it won't win a lot of admirers among some, I understand that. Then again, it's mine so I ain't too worried. :D

http://imgur.com/a/GPFnt

Any suggestions appreciated!
Cheers as always
Chris

Had you thought about turning a handle? No worries if you don't have a lathe, you can turn small items quite successfully using a power drill. If you want to cut to shape with some sort of rudimentary turning tool you need to rig up a tool rest (vertical if the drill is mounted in a press) but otherwise you can do the bulk of the shaping using rasps and/or files and then sand smooth.

These pulls were done this way:

nLlbaH7m.jpg

aXpj7C7m.jpg

Thanks ED, That's really interesting. I've been using the sds beastie clamped in the workmate to clean up various stuff lately. Plane handles, parts of the drill above.... etc. I can see why people love a lathe, wood or metal. That feeling of shaping as you go can be a bit addictive i'd have thought.
m7RFzRs.jpg

I had thought about it but the old brain power didnt stretch to a tool rest. Cheers for that.

I kind of feel that this drill is a learning curve for me. I really enjoyed shaping the brass (simple as it is). So I bought a little brass drawer pull. I have a little oak dowel. What could possibly go wrong lol? I'm going to have a play around and see what happens. :D

Bm101":3qfmiagu said:
That feeling of shaping as you go can be a bit addictive i'd have thought.
I'd say so. I think that's a lot of the appeal of turning, that very quick feedback. Doesn't hurt that you can finish the wood while it's spinning either!

The above are my first ever turnings, just chucked up some wood and had at it, so as you can see it's not particularly difficult to do a basic shape like this. You're presumably going to need a through hole on your turning so you can mount the wood more securely on a bolt just as you have the wheel .

Just happened across this yesterday, Craftsman (Millers Falls) Hand Drill. No progress photos but the finished drill is an inspiration and it looks like you'll be taking your restoration this far.

Funny enough ED I stumbled across that the other day. Thanks though.
Not sure I can even call it a restoration now... it's more a.... I dunno.... travesty some might say. :D Still each to their own. I'm enjoying it as a little side project. I have a little plan in the pipeline and it's been good practice for that. Nice to do something new.

From junk to working tool, doesn't match my definition of travesty but what do I know? :-D

A little update. Drill's pretty much done.
A few pics because I had a lot of fun doing this and although it's beginner level I hope it might convince other beginners to try something new. I really enjoyed doing this. Learnt a lot and got a decent drill from some old parts. Thanks again Bod! :D

So I got a small brass drawer pull from ebay but it was nasty, at least for this purpose.
6gDPNtt.jpg

I include this pic because it shows the exact moment I realised engineers blue and marking blue are not the same thing At All. I waited for it to dry for hours lol. :|
Xp755qi.jpg

Roughed out the shape with files then smashed it on the Clarke Belt sander I was given. One old belt, worn out but I have to say it was a joy to use. I've since ordered a variety of grits. Getting sucked in now to this brass malarkey.
ZWxfyOX.jpg

No matter, I tried turning/ tuning (?) it by hand but realised I was never going to get the accuracy. Drilled a hole in a a bit of wood and used that as a jig of sorts. Job done. I love that little Clarke sander. And it was free!
Some oak dowel added for looks and stuff. Another blast on the clarke to round things off.
We're cooking on gas now. :D
JPdAIJ9.jpg

Some issues getting the brass bolts. Ebay mob sent m3 instead of m4. Knobbers. Reordered with a new firm. The acorn (?) nut turned up today. But it doesn't suit. It's too big so it'll be out with the sacrificial screw/acorn nut and a domed screw instead. Should be neater.
Other than that I'm quite pleased. Enjoyed this one!

uomq8fe.jpg

R1ofgD5.jpg

l2PpNb4.jpg

For more exciting news tune into my youtube channel www.PimpMyDrill.com
Or not. :D

Wow that turned out well (pls excuse the pun) =D> Very impressed with the mods to the brass drawer pull, made a silk purse from a sow's ear there.

Lots of brass does tend to make tools look the mutt's nuts, you can see why Bridge City use so much of it. Dark finish on the wood and it'll be a right stunner.

Well done!
Not so much a restoration, but a rather nice transformation, from junk into a stylish, usable tool. Have you put anything on the wooden parts yet? I'd wipe on some boiled linseed oil, or Tru-oil if you want a glossier finish.

Thanks folks, appreciate it. I've enjoyed it, learned a bit and got a slightly unusual tool to use too. I've just waxed the wood for now. I'd thought about staining but I'll hold off for the minute I think.
I've been quietly eyeing up a Stanley 110 picked up in a job lot for a while... Hmmmm.... I wonder..... :D

Back