Millers Falls jointed lever cap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
This week I have been working with someone else's tools (not a nice experience overall) including an old Millers Falls plane. This plane has a jointed lever cap, which is something I had not seen before so I am curious to find out about it. I bit of digging online tells me this was patented (in 1929?) by Millers Falls. Apparently the theory was that the cap pressed on the chip breaker in 3 places rather than 2 and this stopped chatter. However I have not found any comments about whether it was effective. I assume not or it would have been widely copied by now.

What is the consensus? Was the jointed lever cap a success or failure? Would this plane be better or worse than a similar plane with a conventional solid lever cap?

It is a work of genius, has a similar effect as the record stay-set (makes the plane feel more solid) without creating any more faff setting up the cap iron.

If you put "Millers Falls Home Page" into google, you get to a web site which contains this:

When the Millers Falls Company introduced its new line of hand planes in 1929, it needed a way to differentiate its products from others already on the market. The identity problem was compounded by the fact that all of the new models were knock-offs of existing Stanley production. The company chose to build product identity by concentrating its publicity on the new line’s flagship tools—the bench planes.

The planes were developed with an eye to creating an instantly identifiable appearance that would set them apart from the competition. The frogs were painted with a bright red enamel that contrasted sharply with the planes’ black enameled beds. (Frog incorrectly colored black in this illustration.) The company adopted the use of a highly polished nickel plating for the lever caps of its premium bench planes and displayed the company name on them surrounded by bright red paint.

The other way chosen to distinguish the bench planes was the promotion of the design of their jointed lever caps. The standard lever cap used by competitors applied pressure to the chip breaker/cutter assembly at two points—one at the point of contact with the cap’s cam lever, the other along the lower edge where it made contact with the hump of the chip breaker. The hinged cap was designed to apply force to the chip breaker/cutter assembly at a third point, just above the chip breaker hump. Three points, rather than two—the company advertised the arrangement as a method for preventing chatter. The jointed lever cap was was developed by Charles H. Fox, a Millers Falls employee who assigned the patent to the company. A copy of the patent document is located at the Plane Patents page maintained by Tom Price.

The Millers Falls Company would eventually offer several less expensive bench planes that featured traditional lever caps. The least expensive planes were initially marketed as part of the Mohawk-Shelburne line of economy tools. Later versions bore the Millers Falls trademark. The company also manufactured several intermediately priced planes equipped with traditional lever caps. The most unusual of these featured beds with teflon-coated sides and soles.

From that, it's hard to tell if the need for a gimmick led to the design or the cleverness of the design led to its adoption.

As it happens I've got a Millers Falls 14C (a No. 5 with a corrugated sole) which I've fitted with a Veritas retro-fit iron and have set up as a sort of scrub plane. The lever cap holds the iron well but without a normal cap with which to compare it, I can't say if it's better or not. I imagine that somebody who has made precisely that comparison will come along and cast light on to the matter.

the invention is part of a long history - going right back to Leonard Bailey - of attempts to find ways to hold the cutters in metal planes more securely to the frog.

The idea is to reduce the chance of the cutter vibrating and flexing - not an essential improvement by any means, but one many people appreciate.

IMO the MF idea a far better solution than the recent fad for achieving the same with very thick cutters, which make them annoying to sharpen.

PS I once wrote to ask Rob Lee of Lee Valley fame if he would ever consider reintroducing the idea (Veritas were one of the few people to ever copy it, in their long forgotten Paragon range). Sadly he has no plans - partly because there is no standard for the set-back distance for the screw that retains the lever cap, so there would be no guarantee it would be compatible with all bench planes on the market, and also because he thought there were plenty of cheap MF originals to satisfy the small number of people interested in them.

Argh - I only just managed stop myself buying yet another plane I don't really need from eBay because of this thread ! I like the idea though.

Having the vague feeling that Millers Falls planes might be rather uncommon in the UK, I carried out some (rather 'quick and dirty') research by typing 'vintage Millers Falls' into the Ebay search box. As expected, over 700 finds worldwide, coming down to fewer than 60 when the search was refined to 'UK only' - and the vast majority of those were hand drills.

Conclusion - Millers Falls planes are not that common in the UK! In consequence, maybe the OP might find more people with 'hands-on' experience by searching the US forums?

They do come up , I've got one and indeed I did an (excellent, natch) review of it on this very forum.

I always use my MF #4 in preference to my perfectly good Record ( thanks to the marvellous 2 part lever cap!). Treat yourself just4fun!

If they were more common and less expensive in the UK I'd probably go for the full set, not because of the cap iron but they are much lighter planes than records and stanleys it might only be a few hundred grams of casting but it makes a difference to your arms on longer jobs. Love MF planes; aside from the slack lateral adjusters that move when you look at them funny (just peen them tight) and the seven miles of slop on the yoke, okay they have their flaws, but flaws I can live with because my arms aren't as tired.

[consults aforementioned excellent review.... ]

the metal parts of the MF #4 I tested were 6% lighter than the Record and the casting 11% thiner. I was quite rightly pulled up on my comment that the Record was thicker and therefore better, since many people do indeed prefer a lighter plane.

The handle/knob on my one are made of a very pale wood (birch?) and weigh approximately zero grams.

I wonder if using a very thin/light casting is more likely to warp and therefore more expensive to make (more grinding/wastage?)...

PS don't forget when searching ebay that MF did not follow Stanley's random numbering scheme and instead named them after the length of the plane (so MF #9 = Stanley/Record #4). Not many sold in the past few weeks, but those that sold went for £20 or £30 . bargain!

Back