Miller dowels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Anyone used these?

Seems to me that dowels have on advantage over screws and this is that they are hidden from view.

In the advert I saw, they comment that one of the strengths of Miller dowels is that the finish looks like a plugged screw :lol: Well, as a screw doesn't require a special drill and is 1,000,000 times stronger in sheer and 100+ times cheaper (I bought 1200 screws for £9.99 recently) , I don't see any advantage in using Millers.

Have I somehow missed the point? Only thing I can think of is that using wood to join wood is, in my opinion, more satisfying than using steel

I'm inclined to agree with you, Tony. Normally I am keen to try out new methods of joining wood but I just can't see the point of these things, especially with the plugs showing on what could well be the show side
John

I thought the UKW review was pretty fair. The Miller Dowel can be decorative/contrasting or matching to your work. As you say it is a litttle more sympathetic than screws in some work.

Most people seem to like its simplicty too. No filling or plugging either.

If you buy some and dislike it we will give you your money back, used or not.

Martin (off to Tools 2004 in 7 hours)

I cant see any more advantage with them than using a larger drill and bigger dowels.

Tony,
I think the idea is they are good if you don't have a shop full of machinery-all you need is a drill (not even a drill press!). If you think about it, a huge number of projects could be knocked together with the miller dowels.
Mind you, if you do have a shop full of machinery you should really be justifying it with some more "advanced" joinery methods.
FWIW
Philly :D

I will get round to trying the ones BriMarc sent me. I will. :oops: Until then I won't try and second guess myself. (What an excuse eh? :roll: )

Cheers, Alf

I have just seen these used these for the first time and they have some distinct advantages over screws and normal dowelling methods.

Philly is right if you don't have a shop full of tools then you can make strong joints which look smart; and they are especially good with thin sections especially softwood.

I have promised to make something with the dowels myself, just got to think of something?

Keith

Hi Tony

I bought the Miller Dowels after seeing them demonstrated at Stoneleigh. They give you much more glue area and I really liked the different species that were available.

Martin persuaded me into buying the walnut and oak, as they look so complementary when used in a lighter wood. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Yep Tony I use them,
Mainly for holding boxes together, i think that they are better than my home made dowels, the steps act like a screw head and hold the wood down where you would be trying to bond to what is mostly endgrain.
I agree that if you do not want to see them they may have limitations, but if like me you like/use pegged joints then they are good.
And another thing they save you cutting a plug to cover a screw, you just use the dowel.

Bean

Back