Mill and pen internals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I've been looking around at pen and mill internals, obviously there are 'just a few' options!

Could you kind people suggest a good supplier and or make of such things? I'd sooner avoid the disappointment of finding out everything I've ordered is pap!

Many thanks.

Don't want to dampen you enthusiasm but if you have not fitted salt and pepper mill internals before be aware that some versions require accurate and detailed internal turning of the Mill Body for them to fit correctly, it's not just a case of boring a straight hole so check out the fitting instructions before you purchase.

I use the crushgrind mechanisms, but Chas is correct. You need a series of holes, some of which use forstners which were not in my set and that I had to buy, and one extra long one, or an extension. You also need to make or buy a tool to cut a recess so that the mechanism clicks in place. I bought one, so may have the one that I made lurking somewhere if it helps you.

I buy mine from Stiles and bates. Their catalogue shows how to make one- I use a different workflow and some different holding methods, but it shows you the critical dimensions. S&B also have some well priced blanks (3x3 is ideal) in native timbers.

Of all the mechanisms I have seen, these seem the best. I haven't actually used any of the others but have done quite a few crushgrind ones.

For pens there is a huge range. My starting point would be something from Taylors of mirfield or Beaufort ink. I have used both but keep going back to those two.

marcros":1ijg06hu said:
For pens there is a huge range. My starting point would be something from Taylors of mirfield or Beaufort ink. I have used both but keep going back to those two.

I agree both these have some nice kits but if you are looking for some of the cheaper kits then try HERE as he is very good at supplying them.

Back