Milk Paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a place to buy it please? I'll be using white paint on pine and finishing with linseed oil, unless anyone can give me a better suggestion!

New to this milk paint malarky...

Ingilbys of Glemsford, Suffolk, will sell you casein paint cheaper than most places. They make their own stuff (whilst you're talking to them you might ask about their water based lacquer for woodworking projects), and they're real experts.

El Barto":1w7znz90 said:
...and finishing with linseed oil...
Why's that? Do you want to impart a yellowy tone and have it become more so over time?

If you only want the initial colour but without the potential for it increasing over time you can mix in some raw sienna pigment or concentrate, or if it's the only option raw sienna acrylic paint. This will give you almost exactly the same sort of colouring but stably.

If you're thinking to oil for added protection then save yourself the trouble, casein paint is famously tough as-is. It'll take a bit of time to get to full hardness but once it does it's incredibly resilient.

El Barto":3tf9wu4o said:
Interesting. So it doesn't really need to be finished with anything?
It is a finish in its own right, just as all paints are.

The issue with milk paint is that it can be more matt than people want, although my thinking on this (and don't get me started on chalk paint) is why use it in the first place if it doesn't give you the surface you want? After all we don't use gloss enamel and then think about how we'd matt the surface down because it's a bit shinier than we'd like :D

Latest posts

Back