Military 1944 Elliott Lucas Nippers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought these 8” nippers may be of interest to tool / history buffs.

I have several old EL pliers, nippers etc, but this pair have a stamp mark style I’ve not seen before, even without the date.

The circular stamp assume to be a dedicated broad arrow Elliott Lucas mark for items produced for the ministry of supply during WW2.

Welcome any thoughts. Has anyone come across this EL mark ? I don’t imagine their that scarce, but interesting given the date.
5D4526FF-8F7A-4B21-B4D8-64613094F030.jpeg
F77866C3-1069-435C-BFF3-B08FD6F60F88.jpeg
72E58B81-ABFF-48B6-B860-D2F22F5D0247.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi. The tool looks like a carpenters pincer. The main use was removing nails by gripping the nail shaft and using the radius area of the jaws as a rolling fulcrum to extract the nail with minimum distress to the contacted wood surface. The removal process was started using the V section at the end of one of handles to lift the nail head.

I don't think that arrow is necessarily unique to EL, AdrianUK (though I'm NOT expert in this area and may well be wrong). The wording around the arrow may well refer to EL (I can't make out the letters properly, not even when the pic is expanded, sorry), but I THINK (only think) that the arrow refers only to the fact the item was made under contract to (take your pick, according to date):

War Department (i.e. the Army, not RAF or RN - before the advent of today's Ministry of Defence, meaning prrior to, during, and for some time after WWII), or;

Ministry of Supply (I think just before and during WWII, for supply to companies engaged on war work, or government organisations such as the GPO).

But I repeat, I'm not sure about the above "facts" and I'm sure someone with a better knowledge in this area will be along soon.

Back