Mildew/mould on redwood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwercus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello one and all,

I have some joinery grade redwood which has unfortunately got damp and started to develop a blue mould or mildew. This happened in a surprisingly short time as the timber was only left out in a light shower of rain. The infection is worse on the sapwood but also occurs on the heartwood. My question is; will this affect the long term durability of the timber?. It is intended for exterior use as garage doors and I was intending to treat with clear wood preserver before priming and painting.

Any advice appreciated.

If the Pilgrim Fathers had discovered Cats instead of Turkeys, we'd all be eating pussy cat at thanksgiving!. Playboy Magazine, circa 1967.

Make sure there is no fungus about you're timber, you should be ok, keep it well ventilated as well as dry, from now on.
I was told some time ago that it only takes 6 weeks for a badly or non ventilated roof to timber rot, so you should be careful to keep ventilated.
Read the intended wood preserver tins as it's very likely you will have to wait about 6, or 8 weeks after you have
applied the preserver before you can use any paint.
When you have made you're garage doors, and As long as the timber is dry, just give it a good sanding on all faces so as to provide a good mechanical "key" for the paint to grip to'
I use Dulux Silver primer for any outside work, and then the Dulux range of undercoat and gloss, keeping away from any water based, or acrylic as Acrylic is not any good outside, and will fail as it was designed for speeding up inside use.
HTH Regards Rodders

Back