MikeW--Current project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm terrible about posting completed projects--which I could do if I was smart enough to take completed project photos :oops:

I do usually take progress photos for sharing with clients. This can be a bit of a problem for me to do consistently, though. For instance, some times I take a series of pics and download them to my computer, where they languish until I remember them. Which is often because I just don't take the time to process them.

So I decided to end my digitally slovenly ways! I found a piece of software, free software, which will build a web-based (HTML) photo album, including processing pictures to my specifications (leaving the originals alone), make the thumbnails, etc. and even upload them to my website for clients to "watch" their projects being built.

So I'm trying it out on one of the current projects. It is a credenza, one of two being built concurrently for different clients.

Anyway, you too can "watch" the project by clicking the link below. I picked up the wood yesterday and it is in the first pictures. I also, for the first time, have gone from "flat" 2D drawings to 3D on this project.

Still have lots to learn. It's really hard for my little brain to go from 2D cad to 3D. The cad drawings will be updated. There was a couple details that didn't render well and a couple I left off entirely. So sometime this weekend those will be added to as well. Tomorrow (today really) I will begin milling wood.

Anyway, clicking here will bring you into my ever so tiny (and oh so messy) shop. What you see in the lumber pics is nearly half of the shop :shock: .

Looks interesting, Mike!
That sure is some big chunks of cherry, there!! 4 inch thick!!
Look forward to watching the progress,
Cheers
Philly :D

That is a very nice Credenza,

Well I learned again something, I just called it a dresser, :lol:

Ps compared to my workshop/garage, yours look quite neat

This is the 'credenza' iam currently making, which i hope to finish this weekend - O yeah it is standing on its side, and do not mind the mess :wink:

McLuma

[/img]

Hi Philly,

Thanks. It is actually a very red mahagony, but yep, 4" x 8" by a little over 9' long (one just under 8'). Now let's see if I can even do the updating with this software which really does make it easy.

McLuma, thank you for the compliment. Now as long as I don't confuse the two credenzas and cut the right parts out of the wrong wood <g>.

As to a credenza, just think buffet or sideboard. Over here there is a distinction made between the two depending upon purpose: buffet/sideboard = food service and/or serving storage, credenza = well, often used in serving as a temporary table surface, but also for storage of items not associated with food/serving.

All very confusing to me. I leave it to mostly for the client to say what something is and go with that (mostly).

Hi McLuma

Is that a bag of wood chips to be used as small animal bedding that I can see in the background? One that you've bought?!

:lol:

Moving back on topic, both projects seem to be coming on well and I'm looking forward to seeing photographs when they are completed.

Gill (supplier of quality bedding to hamsters in Birmingham)

Mcluma":318oq6ef said:
That is a very nice Credenza,
Well I learned again something, I just called it a dresser, :lol:
Ps compared to my workshop/garage, yours look quite neat
This is the 'credenza' iam currently making, which i hope to finish this weekend - O yeah it is standing on its side, and do not mind the mess :wink:
McLuma
Quite nice. What kind of wood?

I like what natural light it seems your shop has. Unless I have a shop door actually open, I'm in a cave.

Take care,
Mike

Gill":2t4hldbx said:
Hi McLuma

Is that a bag of wood chips to be used as small animal bedding that I can see in the background? One that you've bought?!
:lol: Gill (supplier of quality bedding to hamsters in Birmingham)
I missed that! Good eyes Gill!

HA HA HA no, i do not buy that, as you can also see in the back ground the dewalt planner, so wen the bedding for the ginnipigs is getting low, I just put another piece of wood through the planner en we have enough bedding for another three months :p :p Much cheaper, only thing - make sure its not impregnated wood otherwise it doesn't work

Quite nice. What kind of wood?
its sheesham hardwood, in the picture its been dyed twice with dark oak then twice with mahogany and then one final with dark oak, then finished with some dark oak varnish

I like what natural light it seems your shop has. Unless I have a shop door actually open, I'm in a cave.
well actually i did buy yesterday two more fluorescent lights for the shop, as i thought there wasn't enough light - I normally work with the garage door open so more light comes in, but as it is getting colder, i cannot open the door anymore, so more artificial light is needed

McLuma

MikeW":1ui3f881 said:
I found a piece of software, free software, which will build a web-based (HTML) photo album, including processing pictures to my specifications (leaving the originals alone), make the thumbnails, etc. and even upload them to my website for clients to "watch" their projects being built.

What software are you using Mike?

Mike,
I certainly look forward to seeing how it develops. Also I guess the colour of the wood is darker on the sawn surfaces which have been exposed to the air - it is perhaps lighter inside?

Mac,
likewise when yours is a little nearer being finished. That colour you have concocted is certainly a rich one!

waterhead37":2wlavdth said:
Mike,
I certainly look forward to seeing how it develops. Also I guess the colour of the wood is darker on the sawn surfaces which have been exposed to the air - it is perhaps lighter inside?
Hi Chris,
Yes, the sawn surfaces have oxidized as it's been exposed for some time. Still, the inner is a pleasent red. I should have more pics up tomorrow if we don't take off for the weekend.

Take care, have a good weekend.

Back