Mikes Blades........again.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fellop

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Just a very quick query if I may. I am intending, after reading recommendations here, of purchasing some blades from Mike. My question is, I intend to order on line via my debit card, can anyone advise of what postage charges there are to the UK and has anyone come across any problems with import tax or delivery?, I only ask because I have ordered from the US before [online via my card] some NFL and Baseball stuff, cap shirt etc and I have been hit with an extra charge for import duty.

What sort of delivery time might I expect.

Regards to all

Peter

hi mine took a week the postage was 3 d0llars about £1.70 i think you only pay duty on items over £15 hope this helps

I've never had to pay any duty on orders from Mike although I don't think I've ordered more than a gross at a time.

Peter

Would it not be better to use a credit card in case anything does go wrong

I have had blades from the US with no problems or extra money to pay

IF it a BIG order ask for them to be sent in 2 packets to keep the individual cost down :wink:

I'd advise against using a debit card for any distant purchasing on-line or telephone. A credit card is much better as the recipient doesn't have direct access to your bank account and you're in a much stronger position, should anything be wrong, to argue over a CC invoice than to try to get back money already taken from your bank account.

Very many thanks for the replies, most helpful, thank you.

Just a point re Credit Card v Debit Card, I do take your points, and agree, however I have never had a credit card in my life. I am old enough to have been raised in the 40’s when if we ever needed anything we save up and buy it, apart from a mortgage [paid off early] I have never owed anybody a penny in my whole life. I have not had a requirement for a credit card.

However as mentioned I do take your valid points re a credit card and the security it can bring, thank you all.

Regards
Peter

fellop":1uzn4odq said:
Just a point re Credit Card v Debit Card, I do take your points, and agree, however I have never had a credit card in my life. I am old enough to have been raised in the 40’s when if we ever needed anything we save up and buy it, apart from a mortgage [paid off early] I have never owed anybody a penny in my whole life. I have not had a requirement for a credit card. ...........
Peter

I was raised in the 40's too but I have for many years had credit cards - I always pay them off each month and doesn't cost a penny. No different to electricity or gas bills etc (unless you have prepayment meter) you pay retrospectively so technically you are always "owing" money :)

This is from the HM Revenue and Customs web site.

All other goods
If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you:

•don't have to pay Excise Duty
•may have to pay Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
•will have to pay Import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15
Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

Hi Peter,
The postage depends on the weight of the order, The minimum is $ 3.00.
I take debit cards, they are either a visa or master card or discover.
Did you know that visa starts with a # 4, master card with a # 5 and discover with a # 1066, Am. expree with a # 3.
FD Mike

Many thanks again to all, and for Mike thank you, of course my debit card is Visa. Am still looking at your website, like a kid in the sweet shop, so much to choose from, I note you operate a secure site anyway.

Regards
Peter

Remember that even if the VAT is the minimum amount the Post Office will charge a set £8.00 "handling charge" to collect it! I have been caught out when the people sending me things from the USA have put a higher value on the customs declaration believing that it would help if i had to claim in the case of loss.

just a quick one... please remember on replying i've never touched a scroll saw, changed a blade and only seen one recently as I've been given one.

I've looked at mikes blades on 'the bay' and noticed that they're all 5".... is this standard? do all scroll saws take a 5" blade
When I eventually try the one I've been given, I thought I'ld change the blade first off but didn't know where to start

The excact lenght is 130 mm. The call it 5". The pin blades are not much used anymore. Designers like to make intricate patterns. Pin blades need a big hole for inside cuttings.
Email me if you have more questions.
FD Mike

Mike,

I got my blades yesterday and WOW, what a difference, I now need to re learn how to use the saw, it cuts so fast and clean. Thank you !

Leo

Back