Midlands Woodworking Show 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed last year when, of the four companies I particularly wanted to speak with, not one of them was present. Doesn't look like Bessey, Dewalt, Makita or Triton plan on attending. Is it such a poor show or does the timing conflict with other, perhaps more lucrative/prestigious shows?

I went once two or three years ago and wouldn't bother again. the harrogate one is much better I think and closer to me.

when I did go, I wanted a few turning tools from Ashley Iles, and some bits and pieces from elsewhere. I just about saved enough in postage to cover the ticket price but otherwise I thought it was very poor value.

My first visit was three years ago. Couldn't get near the Triton stand for men old enough to be her grandad crowding round April Wilkerson. Poor girl looked petrified. Did eventually get to speak to someone who couldn't answer my query but said they'd have someone who could call me. Still waiting. Same is true of a couple of other stands I spoke to on the day. I do remember there being a big stand featuring Makita stuff and I'm sure there was a presence by Dewalt. I also picked up some Bessey clamps and some cheap Incra track from Woodworkers Workshop. I also bought a Trend Respirator at a 'show special' price which was about £50 dearer than online!

Couldn't make it the following year so last year was only my second visit and I didn't get to speak to any of the companies I really wanted to talk to. Highlight was spotting the legendary Steve Maskery - but I was far too starstruck to speak.

I hadn't planned on returning this year but a recent 'turn' of events has me re-evaluating the possibility. Last time I looked, there was no mention of any exhibitors and on checking today the big names are absent again and the list seems greatly reduced altogether.

from Lincoln, I would suggest driving the hour and a bit to Harrogate later in the year than the 45 mins to Newark. I had looked around all that I wanted to, twice and done my shopping within a couple of hours at Newark. At Harrogate, it entertained me for a good while longer, and I didn't have much buying to do other than having a look for a few things.

In my case the journey times are reversed but I get free food, coffee, a bag of vegetables, a dozen eggs and the pickings from the firewood pile if I nip back into lincs whilst nearby!

It is said you should never meet your heroes as they are sure to disappoint you.
....... So, lucky escape!!

I hadn't been to a woodwork show for many years so last year I decided I would have a day out at the Midlands show. From my house in Bedfordshire to Newark is a 200 mile round trip but it is an easy journey up the A1 but was almost a 4 hour round trip.
I did enjoy my day and think I may well go again this year. I didn't have any reason to go to save money on any purchase but I did buy a tail stock chuck for my lathe for £20 along with a couple of Shinwa marking out tools that I am very impressed with and would like to buy some more but it would depend on the price, I have 2 bandsaws that both needed new blades and I went to the Beaverstock stand they had an offer on that you buy 4 blades you get 1 free but having not had any experience of there blades I just purchased ! of each of the 2 sizes I needed and I have to say (not wishing to p on anybodies fire) after having had a lot of use and abouse in the last 12 months they are still going strong,I also purchased some items from the Trend stand that I have been happy with.
The show I would really like to go to is the FFX show at the end of the month but a 200 mile round trip from my house to Kent via the M1 and M25 on a Friday is not something I would do that could well turn into a 6 hour round trip.

powertools":1mno8xkz said:
The show I would really like to go to is the FFX show at the end of the month but a 200 mile round trip from my house to Kent via the M1 and M25 on a Friday is not something I would do that could well turn into a 6 hour round trip.
I do that mileage mileage one way to the FFX show but it’s well worth it for power tool nirvana :D

Doug B":m4lh4wz2 said:
I do that mileage mileage one way to the FFX show but it’s well worth it for power tool nirvana :D

Is it worth going to? It looks like a good show but 600 miles of driving doesn't sound very appealing in comparison! :lol:

Trevanion":14uv5i0c said:
Doug B":14uv5i0c said:

Is it worth going to? It looks like a good show but 600 miles of driving doesn't sound very appealing in comparison! :lol:

I think it’s a very good show, certainly bargains to be had with the added bonus that you can get a feel for & try before you buy.
It’s also a very social weekend meeting up with old friends from home & abroad, I think there were 23 at the Friday night curry last year though my memory was a tad impaired :-"
That’s the other great thing about shows for me, I’ve been going to them for over 30 years so have met a great many really good folks who it’s really nice to catch up with in person rather than just chatting on line.

Latest posts

Back